Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is late September a good time to travel in Europe?

May 20th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

It seems September would be a good time, after the summer crowds and the weather is still nice, correct? We will only have a week due to leaving our children with my mom. We've never been to Europe and only speak English. I was thinking of staying in Paris and Geneva. Would this be a good first trip? Will we encounter any language problems there? Thank you.
May 20th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Correct - less crowded and a bit cooler. Don't worry about any language issue. There are enough Parisians and Swiss who speaks English, sufficient for you to get by and have a good time. Enjoy.
May 20th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Should be a great time.....however, Sept. is still "High" season with plane fares, and hotels at their highest. A LOT of people travel in Sept, and even October..so it will be more crowded than in Nov, or March, April. We don't mind cold, wet weather in Nov & April, but if you want lovely weather, then Sept. would be the choice. Paris and Geneva are both great for a week.
May 20th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Sure, there are still some crowds, but weatherwise, it's one of the best months to travel there.
May 20th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Make your hotel reservations soon...it's a wonderful time to be in Paris.

Don't worry at all about the language issues. You'll be fine.
May 21st, 2004, 04:11 AM

For a first trip, I ask "Why Geneva?" (Paris, Yes!)
May 21st, 2004, 05:30 AM

September is a great time to go. British Air had a reduced fare starting the second week of September - check it out.
Not only will the tourist crowds be gone, but Europeans will be back into their normal, post-holiday routine. The cities are livelier than in August, and if you look for deals, you can save quite a bit of money.

I'm curious about your inclusion of Geneva, also. I remember it as a very businesslike city. Amsterdam is a wonderful city for a first-timer. It's charming, walkable, and full of art and history;nearly everyone speaks English, and the country runs like a clock.
May 21st, 2004, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi Emily,

I also wonder why, with only a week, you would want to go to Geneva.
May 21st, 2004, 06:37 AM

I, too, wonder why Geneva. It is relatively large and somewhat non-descript city. If you are looking for the flavor of Switzerland, Geneva is not the best place to get that. Have you considered Paris and London? With only a week, you could spend it in Paris and perhaps take a day trip or two to someplace like Versailles.
May 21st, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Well, yes, I wanted to go to Switzerland because it is so beautiful and relatively close to Paris. I guess Geneva isn't the best choice to stay at. I really want to go to Rome, but it seems a bit too far and difficult to see both in a week.
Any suggestions on where else to visit? Thank you for the responses.
May 21st, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam sounds very interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you so much.
May 21st, 2004, 09:18 AM

I would pair Paris with London, too. The two are perfect for a first trip to Europe.
May 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM

Emily, why not stick to your first instinct - Switzerland, "because it is so beautiful" - but choose a better destination, say Lucerne?

I'd suggest that a contrasting experience of Paris and the Alps would suit you best.
May 21st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Tuck, thank you for the suggestion of Lucerne. I think it would be perfect. It can be so overwhelming to think of all the amazing, wonderful places we would like to visit in the whole of Europe! I obviously have a lot more research to do.
Thank you again for your time and responses. Have a great weekend!

May 22nd, 2004, 08:37 PM

Hi
We always go to Europe inlate Sept. or early Oct. Best time to go, less crowded. English is no problem, most people speak at least some, and in Geneva it is more popular. English is the international language now. Just check especially for Geneva if they are having any Trade shows or Fairs. sept. is a popular time for these and hotels tend to be filled up.
alan
May 23rd, 2004, 03:33 AM

Yes, why Geneva? During Sept/Oct driving through Switzerland is always a wonderful experience... away from Geneva.... give a try it will be worth.