Reload this Page >

Is it worth touring East Germany again?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:20 PM
Earl

Soon after reunification of West and East Germany, I spent ten days touring East Germany. While I saw and appreciated all of the major tourist sites, I found the cities to be quite depressing compared to West Germany. That was quite a few years ago. Have things changed dramatically in the intervening years?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Topper

ttt

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:58 PM
xxx

You get what you're looking for, I guess. When I toured the eastern part of Germany soon after reunification, it was far from depressing, indeed full of anticipation and hope for the future, and a large amount of reconstruction was taking place. Also, some of the historic towns were far better preserved than equivalents in the west - maybe a bit run-down - but not suffering from massive development. I hope that some of this character still exists.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Curious

Seems like no one wants to answer this question. Is this a problem in Germany?

Old May 24th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Harold

I could be wrong but I think a vast majority of posters here are not that familiar with the former DDR. I visit the area near Dessau each year. The towns are less glamorous than there couterparts in the West, but the cities such as Leipzig and Dresdena are becomming more like those in the West. Much of the time you can see and feel the difference.

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Gaia

I have no problem whatsoever with Eastern Germany, but I am asking you - why the interest. Did your familiy come from there, or have you been everywhere else in Europe and have no new destination? <i would say, it's OK. the hotels are new, some of the smaller towns are quite nice, and if you understand German then you can amuse yourself quite well. But for me it is definitely not a top destination, not even for former Eastern Europe. Have you been to the Baltic republics or Tchechia? And I don't mean Prague only. Of course if your parents or so came from there and you still have relatives, then of course you must go again.....I am not from Western Germany and prejudiced, but had to go there on business several times, travelled around last time 6 months ago. Maybe other people think differently.

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Neil

Defnitely - it's great! The difference to 10 years ago is like night and day. The small towns are very scenic and have been meticulously restored, and it all looks grand. My favorite was Erfurt, loved the city, the food and the people. Vastly prefer E Ger to Czech Rep - much less risk of getting conned/mugged...

Old May 29th, 2002, 05:37 PM
aunt grapes

Harold~~where do you stay in Dessau? We're going in the Fall and interested in accomodation tips...pensionne, gasthaus, small hotel to recommend? Thanks for any help.

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Harold

Aunt Grapes: I am sorry that I can not help you with advice on accomodations as I stay in someones private home out in the country but near Dessau. Where they live does not offer much. We utilize the excellent train connections or drive to visit Berlin, Leipzig or Whittenburg.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:36 AM
Victoria

Earl,<BR> We just returned from an eleven day driving trip through the former East Germany. Briefly I can tell you although there was a lot of construction, we found all of the cities we visited to be bustling with activity; everything from the tourist sights to the restaurants and shops seemed to be putting their best, recently upgraded, foot forward. Once I stop lamenting that I am home from vacation, I'll write my trip report, and would be happy to send you a copy if you'd like.