Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

is it worth staying in an apartment in paris for 3-4 nights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if so, can anyone recommend an agency that rents by the night instead of only giving a weekly rate? Every one I look at only lists weekly rates.

My next question is whether anyone has stayed in a nice apt for around 100 euros (or a bit more) a night. My daughter and I will be going in November so don't need A/C, but would like it to be near a metro in central Paris.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I'm mentioned before that I'm a big fan of www.vacationinparis.com They are based in New Jersey so quote in US dollars. I am fairly sure you could get something close to your budget that time of year. Their site quotes per night rates or just give them a call. They're not the only ones that rent for less than a week and know other folks will weigh in with site recommendations--another possibility would be www.vrbo.com. Good luck.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM

It would be worth it to me but I don't know if it's worth it to you.

One possibility would be www.homelidays.com and do a search for apartments that allow short stays in whatever arrondisement you'd like to stay in.

You shouldn't have any problem finding an apartment for that price especially in November.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Vacationinparis is the one that seems to get mentioned the most that rents for less than a week. Whether or not an apartment is worth it for less than a week depends on what you are looking for in your accommodations.

Personally, For only three days I wouldn't consider an apartment.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM

I stayed in an apartment this past November that rented nightly in your price range. By clicking on my screen name, you'll see a report that I wrote entitled:

"Just back from Paris - feedback on our apt, tips, and photos"

I'm sorry - I tried to put the link here, but I can never get it to work for some reason. I have a review of the apartment in the report as well as links to the agency's website. They have a lot of apartments if you're interested in others.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Although I love apartments for a longer stays, I wouldn't do it for just a few days. There are often hassles such as having to pay the deposit and/or part of the rent by wire transfer, having to pay the balance in cash, a flat rate cleaning fee that's as much as for a week's stay, more time checking in (having to meet someone to get the key), and having no place to store your luggage on the last day after check-out.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe you can rent for stays shorter than a week at www.rentparis.com.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses - very helpful - especially the names of agencies which rent less than a week. I've been looking at a few and my head is spinning!

I do agree that a hotel might be easier, but with a limited budget, it might also be nice to have a kitchen area. So many pros and cons!

Bailey - your apt Pastis looks adorable, as do most of the other Paris Hideaway apts. Did it really look as spotless and new as in the website, or did it look more 'used' or run down? If you usual currency is not euro, how did you obtain a check in euros for the security? Did you go to a bank? I guess if I had the cash upon arrival, I might as well just hand it over - it seems much easier that way.

Fifi - I really appreciate the downsides you mentioned -I wasn't aware of them so have to think carefully about how much they would impact us. Not a problem for the departure as we are getting right on a train to Lyon. I'll have to research the cash aspect. One thing I did notice which seems like a pain is paying separately for electric. how do you figure that out? I agree that if the cleaning rate was as much as a week's rent, that it would be a deal-breaker. I'll have to be sure to watch for that.

Any other comments out there?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM

"I do agree that a hotel might be easier, but with a limited budget, it might also be nice to have a kitchen area."

I think the four most common reasons I've seen on this board for getting an apartment are 1) people want to cook/buy and store food 2) a family wants to stay together 3) someone wants to "live like a local" 4) partners on different sleeping schedules. One likes to get up early/sleep late, stay up early/sleep late more space 5) ties back into number 1 and 2, but in some cases it is more economical.

If I'm traveling on a budget, which I have been know to do... There are plenty of hotels in Paris that would be suitable to me for a 3 or 4 day stay that cost less than an apartment.

As for the cooking, I certainly would factor that into a longer stay, but for only three to four days you could eat out a meal that you planed on cooking. Instead, going to somewhere like a crepe stand and the difference in costs would be fairly negligible for a short stay.

Again, If I am in Paris for longer than a week, which I typically am I will strongly consider an apartment, but I couldn't personally justify it for only three days for only two people.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM

No no no, I didn't mean the cleaning was as much as the rent-- I meant someone staying 3 days may be charged the same cleaning fee (say, around 80 euros) as someone staying 10 days.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Each person is so different, I would not stay in an apartment for only 3/4 days, if a kitchen is a must I would simply stay in a Citadine. (www.citadine.com)
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:02 AM

VacationinParis does not have most of the negatives mentioned for short term rentals. Everything is done before you leave in USD and you can use your credit card. A key is mailed with detailed instructions about two weeks before you leave so there is no one to meet. There is only a key deposit of $150. Our experience was positive and the transaction was seamless. Our key deposit was promptly returned.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:13 AM

BTW, I should have mentioned that we rented #176 and found the pictures and description to be accurate - it is a basic studio. The picture shows a double bed arrangement but it can be split into twins, each along a wall. Free Wi-fi and free local calls and calls to North America were a plus as was its location very near the Montorgueil market and nearby (80 steps, I counted them) metro stop. There is also a Monoprix in the building. It has a washer but no dryer.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel El Dorado, about 2 blocks from the Place du Clichy metro station in a non-touristy but very convenient neighborhood, in March. We loved it- I think our (large and super cute) room cost about 85 euros (with private bath). The place is decorated very "Paris flea market" and I think your daughter would like it a lot:

http://www.eldoradohotel.fr/
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 08:40 AM

kwren - to answer your questions:

Yes, the apartment looked exactly like the photos on their website. Everything was very neat and clean. When we checked in, I paid our balance in euros and gave him a personal check for the security deposit - the equivalent of 500 euros in USD.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM

'I do agree that a hotel might be easier, but with a limited budget, it might be nice to have a kitchen area.'....

I have rented an apartment 4 of my 6 trips to Paris, but these trips were 2 weeks to one month. If going for only 3-5 days, I think that I would still rent an apartment. Why? I enjoy feeling a bit as though I were living there. It is lovely to get up in the morning and have a leisurely breakfast while I plan the day. (as much as I ever 'plan'.) I like to visit the sensual food markets and bring home occasionally a late night repast. It is cheaper than a hotel with more space, but I have always found that the apartment is much smaller than it appears in the photos. I don't care since I am out experiencing Paris 8-12 hours a day...and night.

www.vrbo.com offers many (most?) studios and apts. that rent by the night. It really is not that complicated to rent...look at the apts, select, reserve, send deposit...done.

However, if I go to Paris for just a few days (and decide to rent a hotel) I have a list of hotels if I decide to do this. Here they are, within your budget (and mine) and I think that they have character and I enjoy the areas:

1. YES ! to http://www.eldoradohotel.fr (17th Arrondissement. At least go to the site and enjoy the music. When I was in Paris last year for the month of June, I went there and had a lovely drink in their courtyard.

2. http://www.lesdegreshotel.com (5th, Latin Quarter).

3. wwww.hoteldenesleparis.com (5th, Latin Quarter).

4. wwww.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com (5th, Latin Quarter).

5. www.hotel-paris-utrillo.com (18th, Montmartre).

6. Hotel Torcy (18th, Montmartre)...read tod's thread 'Europe, Our Springtime Stroll Through Paris' and look at her wonderful photos.

If you decide to rent a studio'apartment, you have time to do so.

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Within arrondissments 1-20 in Paris, you are always within a few blocks of a Metro stop. The Paris metro system is excellent, therefore if you find a place that you love, you will always be within one half hour of any place you choose to visit....central Paris is relatively small and if you walk, you can be from one end to the other in 3 hours . Think about the appropriate Metro Pass and especially pay attention to the buses...it is beautiful to 'rest' on a bus trip (where you are above ground) and there are some great routes, #69 is one. Also, take the Montmartre bus. It leaves from Metro Pigalle, street level and gives you a great overview of Montmartre at a breakneck speed...it stops often. Since you will have bought the appropriate pass, it runs every 15 minutes and you can hop on and off.

http://www.geobeats.com/videoclips/france/paris is a good site with 2-5 minute clips of Paris to give you a 'feel' for where to go.

Buy a copy of 'Pariscope' from the newsvendors on the street. It is excellent, comes out weekly (Wed) and covers ALL that is hapening in Paris. It is small, light to carry and cheap...0.4 Euro.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Generally I prefer hotels unless I'm staying a much longer period of time. I like the convenience of having help at the front desk for one thing. I would never bother with an apartment (if you could even find one) for only 3-4 nights.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM

I'd have no problem staying in an apartment for that period of time. I rented through vacationinparis.com. for 7 nights though. They have shorter rental periods,too. You can pull up my March thread where I've done a complete report on my experience. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM

Put me down in the apartment
camp!

I'm not the type who needs
or wants help from hotel staff and find the larger size of the average apartment over the
average Paris hotel room
is the biggest advantage.
Though by no means claustrophobic I am much more comfortable with the extra space.

Whether you have to pay extra for the cleaning fee or whatever is immaterial. Just add up the extras and see if it still fits your
budget and compares well
with a hotel.

As for electricity charges...last summer we noted the reading on the meter when we arrived and when we left and the owner
deducted the charge when he returned the deposit. We never turned on the stove or oven, did a couple of loads of laundry and the charge came to about 20 euro as I remember.

Don't be afraid to go for an apartment... our experience was smoothness itself. And as
someone mentioned... we felt we LIVED in Paris rather than being visitors.

We spent another week in Amsterdam at the Moevenpick and luckily for us were upgraded from a superior room to a junior suite. But even the suite seemed cramped after the apartment in Paris!

Bon voyage!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -