Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > is it worth it to take my tom-tom for driving around france/italy?

is it worth it to take my tom-tom for driving around france/italy?

Apr 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

is it worth it to take my tom-tom for driving around france/italy?

I have a tom-tom with Europe on it and am going to be driving in France and Italy for 3 weeks. It seems easier to use than paper maps, although I am taking them too. The question is: have you used a tom-tom there and did it work well enough to take it along?
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
J62

I haven't used a tom-tom but a GPS is handy to have. I've used other GPS units in Europe and they've all worked well - some built in and some not. I would definitely take it with me.
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM

One thing to check. Make sure Europe is working. I went to update my Garmin last week and Eurpe had "Disappeared" Glad I found out here. (Garmin spent about two hours on the phone with my unit and PC getting Europe back!)

If it's a few years old, I would also see if there are updates. More of Europe seems to be "Detailed" on these maps all the time!
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Two friends and I, all females, flew to Barcelona, stayed a few days, drove a car to Perpignan, France, using a GPS that belonged to one friend. It was really helpful much of the way but in Perpignan it was useless. It couldn't keep up or something. "Drive 300 yards and turn right," it would say, and long before that 300 yards passed, it would say "recalculating." Coming back through the hills along the coast, it did work well and we were very glad to have it.
Take the paper maps, too. Technology can fail, or not be up to date.
Just be sure you can read road signs in French and Italian. Also, be sure you don't need an International Driver's Permit. Some countries, like Spain, required it. Also check out the other requirements. Spain required we have an extra pair of glasses in the car with us, and could have resulted in a ticket if we'd been stopped and not had them. Also, we were not allowed to take our rental car into Andorra, too risky, they said.
May 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM

We used our TomTom on our trip to France last year and it was very, very helpful. Having dinner in a small town in Provence after a day of touring and leaving just around dark to return to our BB near St Remy, the TomTom guided us right back to our BB. How we got there and which route we took is still a mystery but it worked. It guided us via some intersting routes throughout the trip but we never got lost. We learned to trust the TomTom. We are going back to Europe next Sept. and we will use the TomTom again.
May 11th, 2009, 02:03 AM

Pre-GPS days we often spent way too long finding our destinations . . . now we are much more successful! We still have our minor mishaps, and I still do have a paper map on hand at all times, but driving is such a breeze with the assistance of Ms Garmin.

The only times we strike problems is in densly built-up cities (the buildings cause loss of satelite connections) and on rare occasions in other areas; the latter no explanations have been forthcoming from Garmin, and we have come to the conclusion that we were in some kind of satelite exclusion zonoes (near defence sites etc). Once again, paper maps come to the rescue until satelite connection is restored.

Happy travels, Di

Search this Thread