Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to go to Cesky Krumolov if the castle is closed??

Dec 6th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone - I am going to Prague next week for 6 days - was considering a day trip to Cesky Krumolov b/c I heard it's gorgeous, but...I think the castle might be closed from Nov - Feb. With that in mind, is it still worth it to go if the castle is closed?? Thanks for your input!!!

Also, if you do recommend going, any idea which tour company I should book through? Thanks!
Dec 6th, 2006, 05:24 AM

I don't think so; in retrospect the castle tour was about 65% of our memories of CK.
We didn't book thru any tour company; drove there, found a pension with available lodging, walked thru town, found a nice restaurant, walked to castle, went thru with guide, left town quite happy.
Dec 6th, 2006, 06:33 AM

In my opinion, no! The castle and the baroque theatre are the major attractions of Cesky Krumlov. The town is quite lovely, but I would still rather see it in summer than winter.

If I were you, I would consider at trip to Terezin to see the concentration camp and museum. It is open every day from Nov 1 to March 31 from 8AM to 4:30 PM, except Dec. 24-26 and Jan 1.
Dec 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM

We loved Cesky Krumlov. Although the castle is great, it was also fun to just simply walk around the town. You could probably still get close enough to the castle to get the great views/pics of the lovely town. Even with the castle closed I wouldn't hesitate to visit.

Tracy
Dec 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM

I am a big Ck fan. Our last trip there we actually took a couple of days from our time in Vienna to spend extra time there...it is a great little place. Do a search on the easiest ways to get there, etc. Not to mention very inexpensive.
Dec 6th, 2006, 11:15 AM

no, not if it's closed -- and it's December on top of that, so the weather isn't great and it gets dark early.
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Definitely YES. While the castle is nice, there are many out there much nicer and interesting (and this is coming from a castle fanatic!). We found strolling the town in the early mornings and evenings to be much more gratifying and intriguing than the castle. To us the castle was besides the point.
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM

yes. I liked CK. The bridge, river, snow...prefer it during winter time than summer coz less crowd and the snow enhances its charm. just stroll around the town, have nice grilled meat at this medieval theme (cave) restaurant (sorry forgot the name). with/without castle, i think it is still worth a visit