Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it wise to stay our last night on Amalfi coast in Capri?

Jul 31st, 2006, 05:47 AM
kdd
Original Poster

This question has to do with weather and transportation from Capri. We have planned to stay a night in Capri, then take the morning ferry to Naples and head for the Hilton airport hotel in Rome, stay the night and take the flight at 10:30 am next day to NYC. My worry now is if the weather turns bad and ferries don't run, then we might be stuck in Capri and run the risk of missing our flight. What happens to the ferry operation in bad weather? Are they suspended entirely? Please advise.

Thanks
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:49 AM
kdd
Original Poster

oops, forgot to mention that we will in Capri on Sept 30. Oct 1 we leave Capri for Naples, Oct 2 10:30 am is the flight.
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:11 AM
ira

Hi K,

My suggestion is that you spend your first night on Capri and your last night on the mainland.

No matter what the weather, or other contingencies, you will get to Rome in time to take your plane.
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:47 AM
kdd
Original Poster

We have a villa rental for first part of the trip. After we checkout of villa we have to stay 2 nights. So we decided to stay 1 night in Capri and the other night since its before an early flight we chose to stay at the airport hotel. It would be difficult to switch the order of the stays. Only thing we could do is probably visit Capri as a daytrip on a good weather day. Its a pity though because most people say Capri is so much nicer after the daytrippers leave!
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM

I'd love to see some facts about the number of ferries cancelled due to weather problems. I could foresee some difficulties with the hydrofoils and smaller craft but doubt there are many problems with those steamers. You might have to go wherever those would deliver you [Sorrento most likely if not Naples] but at least would be on the mainland and good to go. This is just my impression and not offered up as anything approaching a fact!

I was on Capri at the end of June when the harbor was closed for the entire day as Caprese protest against service cuts and what an unusual day on Capri that was!

Jul 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM
ira

Hi K,

There is not a high probability of not being able to get off the island.

However, if this low probability event does occur the consequences are rather high.

Why not spend another day in Rome and save the Capri overnight for another visit?