Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is It True About Fodors???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-it-true-about-fodors-428326/)

OaktownTraveler May 4th, 2004 09:10 AM

Is It True About Fodors????

Just back from travel...

I was informed that USA Today(5/1/04) did NOT list Fodors Travel Boards as one of the top 5 Travel Forums...

Is that correct? I am not computer savy so could not even begin to locate the travel article.

Why do you think Fodors did not make the top 5?

Oaktown Traveler

elberko May 4th, 2004 09:15 AM

Who cares? USA Today isn't on my top 100 newspapers...

rex May 4th, 2004 09:22 AM

I'd have to read the article; it all depends on the criteria. Are you sure it was <i>forums</i>? or websites? By hits - - or what I would not want to do without - - it has tough competition from

www.expedia.com
www.travelocity.com
www.orbitz.com
www.mapquest.com*
www.tripadvisor.com

* Yes, I prefer viamichelin.com or mappy.com to mapquest.com <i>for Europe</i> - - but more internet users are simply traveling domestic in the US than anywhere abroad, n'est-ce pas?

Best wishes,

Rex

OaktownTraveler May 4th, 2004 09:28 AM

Rex:

I understand it was a large section about travel planning and what travel forums were best to go to for advice, comments etc. from other travelers.

They also stated why they selected some of the ones that you listed.

This was inclusive for information about world travel.

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler

111op May 4th, 2004 09:30 AM

I'd be interested to read it -- could someone post a link here? I don't really read USA Today but I did poke around a bit, but ultimately I'm too lazy to spend the time looking for the article (a few casual searches turned up nothing).

Thanks.

Chicago_Heather May 4th, 2004 09:35 AM

There is an article on USA Today online titled &quot;Internet sites help level playing field for tourists&quot; (4/27/04). This may not be the same article you heard about, but it is just referencing travel *forums*.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/bonus...et-sites_x.htm

The article lists: Frommers, Lonely Planet, IGoUGo, Trip Advisor, and TalkAbout Network.

The author states &quot;So where should you begin surfing the Web for inside tips on your destination? Read on for a quick look at several of the more prominent sites that offer such information.&quot;

Then, he did a search on &quot;Atlanta&quot; and compared the results on these sites.

Much like literal guidebooks, I have preferences on layout, style, approach, etc. This site still is easiest for me to navigate and I'm always finding bits (or large chunks) of very helfpul information.

111op May 4th, 2004 09:40 AM

Thanks, Heather, for the link.

I don't know IgoUgo or TAN, and I've never checked LP's online forums.

Honestly, of the ones I've used, I like Frommer's the most. Lots of useful information from their guide books are available for free online.

But as for Q&amp;A, I really like Fodor's. I discovered this forum last year some time, probably around August or so. There're many knowledgeable posters and I've learned all sorts of useful things from reading this.

But of course, information is always good, and I appreciate having this Q &amp; A forum as a means to get additional info that may not be easily available elsewhere.

Christina May 4th, 2004 09:44 AM

Because the people who write those kinds of articles don't have the slightest idea what the &quot;top&quot; travel boards are. They get info fed to them to a large degree (those who write the travel section of newspapers), so they probably asked 1-2 people who are biased or don't even know themselves--such as some of the travel names quoted a lot in newspapers (the Best Fares guy and some other media guys). They don't even know, necessarily.

You can bet they don't have any idea which sites get the most hits, although a &quot;top&quot; site could be just subjective opinion as to usefulness. I've seen articles in Conde Nast Traveler that rate various web sites for usefulness, etc, and they are pretty good at that. My hometown paper also occasionally has comprehensive articles on web sites, such as top hotel booking sites, etc.

I just searched USAToday and suspect you are referring to this article from 4/28
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/bonus...et-sites_x.htm

If so, your informer didn't understand the article or explain it very well. It was not an article about the &quot;top five travel forums&quot;. The reporter did not even use that term. He just discussed what kind of info he found on a specific location (Atlanta city in USA) on five forums he knows about. Who knows where he got those URLs from, maybe his kid brother. Some are obvious, but some I've never even heard of and I use the web a lot for travel.

As one example, I live in Wash DC and they have a pretty good travel section. Once I wrote a letter to one of their reporters who wrote an article about AAA Travel VISA ATM cards (prepaid cards), because she had erroneous information in it (such as the usual, foreign banks will charge you ATM fees), and didn't even ask AAA what the exchange rate was on withdrawing your money, she had obtained info from their publicity. well, she was nice enough to even call me up to discuss it and said maybe that was a good idea for a future article (ways to get money abroad), which they did (no residuals to me), but she said that she didn't understand the stuff that well and let her husband handle all the money abroad. So, there you go.

OaktownTraveler May 4th, 2004 10:08 AM

Christina:

I &quot;think&quot; we are on the same team so I suggest you possibly forward your post to USA Today to give them something to ponder.

I am so glad that many of you know how to do computer research and all. That is the article referenced... and as with most reading everyone will get their own understanding, take-away or main point from the writer.

My source wrote to tease me about my &quot;beloved&quot; Fodors Travel Site sans: &quot;Cyber-Travel-Poster-Battle-Field-Site&quot; ...where body slams and sucker punches fly over travel reports, shoes, clothing, food, drink and &quot;fat&quot; or &quot;skinny&quot; proposed travel itineries...
Just the messenger she laughs!

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler

tpatricco May 4th, 2004 10:56 AM

I enjoy reading &amp; participating in the posts on Fodors much more than some other forums. Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree is a thorn in anybody's side, especially compared to here!

That's just MHO!! Trish

111op May 4th, 2004 11:00 AM

Actually I did want to clarify that I've never participated in Frommer's online forums -- what I meant to say is what they have on their website (the more &quot;static&quot; parts) is quite exemplary and outstanding, but I suppose this is true only if you like their guidebooks.

Jim_Tardio May 4th, 2004 12:32 PM

It's simple...the &quot;Top 5&quot; buy more advertising than Fodors, or are under the same umbrella company.

I worked many years for Copley News and this is what advertisers pay for.

elaine May 4th, 2004 01:43 PM

Speaking of which, I wish there were a travel magazine just for Europe. When I receive my issues of Nat'al Geographic Traveler, or Frommer's Budget Travel, and others, I end up skipping most of the magazine to look for the Europe articles.
A self-centered wish, I realize, but still...

isabel May 4th, 2004 01:53 PM

Elaine, I was just thinking the exact same thing. So since there are so many well informed people here - not to mention some very good writers - why doesn't someone start such a magazine. Anyone up for it?

m_kingdom2 May 4th, 2004 01:59 PM

Re Isabel:

If, and what an enormous if it is, you did start a magazine, a column for me please dear!

SaraL May 4th, 2004 03:08 PM

er... I think not M Kingdom2

Jocelyn_P May 4th, 2004 03:09 PM

Isabel,
I'd buy it!

rex May 4th, 2004 06:13 PM

A magazine, a TV show, an internet radio hour - - a Fodorites' media empire!

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34485874

StCirq May 4th, 2004 06:15 PM

elaine: There IS a magazine exclusively about Europe. It's called Europe, and you can find it at Borders and Barnes &amp; Noble and certain newsstands. It's not exclusively about travel, though a good deal of it is.

francophile03 May 4th, 2004 07:34 PM

We are all pretty much familiar with the highly-talked about tripadvisor.com. But out of the other forums listed as tops I have heard of Frommers and IgoUgo. But I didn't find IgoUgo that helpful nor Frommers (as someone says it's like reading the guidebook which I have already). I don't think USA Today even knows about Fodors.