Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it too late to book a trip to Croatia for late July/August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - I have just started looking into a potential trip to Croatia for July or August of this year. Everything I read says that this is the heart of peak season with tons of Italian and German tourists and it sounds like last minute accommodations can be tough. I will be flying from NY (no direct flights), and am interested in visiting Dubrovnik, Split and a couple of the Dalmatian islands (any recommendations on which 1-2 to visit??). I may also tack on a couple of days in Vienna on the way there or back...

Would you recommend travelling during this time or would you bag it for another location? September seems like a more ideal time to travel to Croatia, but not sure I will be able to accommodate that timeframe. Would love thoughts on whether or not it is worth it to travel in July/August and/or if I will even be able to get good accommodations on such short notice. Thanks to all of my fellow travelers!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 07:40 AM

I have just returned from Croatia - Cavtat and Split and loved it.

It was not very crowded in June but I understand it is July, August and September.

Why don't you go onto tripadvisor and search various hotels to see if they have accommodation for your dates.

It is a wonderful country and I would say go for it

Helen
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

I spoke to a travel agent who said that travelling to Croatia in July and August is not advised. He said driving between islands is a nightmare - all of Croatia visits the islands in July, and all of Italy and Germany visit in August. He said if I can wait until September, it will be MUCH better. I am trying to see if I can swing it, but I might not be able to travel during this time.

Also, one thing the agent mentioned is that the customer service at hotels in Croatia is really not up to par. He didn't get into it beyond that, but I am curious what other travellers have experienced. Are the hotel owners rude/curt or do they just not make your bed every day?? I don't mind if they don't make my bed, but I always like a friendly hotel. If anyone can comment, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM

My wife and I have travelled to Croatia since 1997 and love it - hence the userid! We now have two small children and are going again for another 22 days from mid August - early September. We live in Canada and have arranged a flight
- Toronto - Bologne, Italy. We are still deciding whether to ferry it over to Split or take a Croatian Airlines flight. We will probably fly over to Split from Rome Airport (a bit of a trip in between).

You might want to book flights to Vienna and fly from Vienna to Dubrovik and back to Vienna via Split www.croatiaairlines.com. From Dubrovnik you could work your way up the coast via a couple of islands on the way.

As for the comments you heard on accommodations, we find the difference in accommodations between North America and Croatia can be described as more basic. We will stay in a pensione on the beach in a two bedroom flat, with a kitchen, a small tv and nice clean linens. We find the people generally are extremely friendly. No comparison to what I would call the corporate politeness that we have here when we travel.

We like to swim in the sea in the daytime, and dine on the seaside everynight - fresh fish and local wines and nice interesting people to converse with.

When we travel anywhere else we normally stay at the Four Seasons or the Ritz and so this annual excursion is truly a break from our routine!

I hope this help and if you go - enjoy!
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM

We're in the exact same position. Want to travel Aug 2-9 -- no other options - and couldn't decide where to go, started reading about Croatia and now we're hooked.

We're a family of 6, and would prefer to stay in a house or apartment instead of a hotel.

Staying on the beach or next to a lake or river would be ideal, but definitely want to stay away from the crowds. Willing to give up comfort and great location for a more quiet spot.

We are very interested in hiking, nature, water, biking, snorkeling, not so interested in cities, esp if they're crowded (although we have to visit Dubrovnik).

Any suggestions of where to stay and/or where to visit? Any "can't miss" spots? Is Aug 2-9 likely to be just too busy and therefore better to visit a different year?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.