Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it too indulgent to travel to Europe twice/year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:47 AM
Vita

I was just curious how oftem people travel abroad. I'm not by any means rich, but I think I can afford trips twice/year if I budget properly and travel off season. I don't generally spend extravagantly when I'm at home.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 07:23 AM
kk

Good grief, Vita. Are you serious? <BR>If you can afford, do it! Why not? Life is short. Enjoy. <BR>Indulgence, schmulgence. Don't feel guilty, which is what the "too indulgent" suggestion sounds like to me. <BR>You deserve this. What else would you do with your time? Work? Or take time off and paint the bedroom? <BR>Go to Europe. You'll love yourself for it.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 07:41 AM
Vita

I like you, kk. Seriously. Next time I see you, remind me to give you some sugar.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 07:44 AM
Book Chick

I'm with kk. You can always do some like paint the bedroom over a rainy weekend. As long as you're not going hungry, delaying needed medical or dental care & are able to fit these trips into your budget, take 'em. I doubt if you land in a sickbed in the future you'll say "I wish I'd purchased new andirons & replastered the living room ceiling instead of going to Rome!" You have one life, girlfriend, live it as you see fit! <BR>BC

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:20 AM
robin-k

We only pass this way once. If you want to talk indulgent, tomorrow is my last day on the job (laid off telecom worker) and I'm leaving for a week in Costa Rica on Sunday !!! <BR> <BR>Once you make the decision to put travel at the top of your priority list, you'll be surprised at how easy you can make a twice/year trip to Europe.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:37 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

kk- I am with you. You know what they say-it is the things you don't do you regret! We took our first trip by ourselves to France last June and are already booked to Paris for March. Someone said you are going to Paris AGAIN and I said I didn't see or eat everything!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:40 AM
elvira

When I'm layin' on my death bed, I'm going to be begging God for enough time to do ONE MORE TRIP; I will *not* be asking for a coupla hours to clean the attic. <BR> <BR>When folks talk about a friend or family member that's departed, they say things like "he told the best stories!" or "remember that leather suitcase that smelled like cedar?"; no one says "boy, she was a great housekeeper". And if they do, do you want to be remembered that way? <BR> <BR>I pay my bills, I have a nice roof over my head, I eat well, I get annual checkups and new glasses regularly, I have a 401k plan for my retirement... and every dime beyond that goes to trips! Self-indulgent, you betcha and I'm proud of it. I'm also thankful that I can be...

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:43 AM
richard j vicdk

Good morning to all: <BR>Elvira, yuour first paragraph is right <BR>on, have reached that time of life and <BR>still have the same prayer.. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:07 AM
Mike

We go to Europe twice a year in the off season and been doing it for five years. Can't wait until January. Did the Island's for five years and got tired of the sun. We're 50's with friends who just don't understand. They're waiting until retirement. Good luck. As my brother-in-law say's "When your old and confined to the rocker and all you have is memories make them good ones". We have a ton.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:27 AM
cheryl

Vita - By all means GO! If you can afford it you should certainly go. The <BR>rest of us will be jealous. We're <BR>going to Italy in January....why...because my husband <BR>didn't want to go to Florida (We live <BR>in the northern part of the US and I <BR>wanted to go somewhere warm for a few <BR>days) He hates heat, said no, so I <BR>sacrificed and said okay, let's go to <BR>Italy! Can't wait. Give me Europe over <BR>painting anyday!!!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:34 AM
Marilyn

Last year we were fortunate enough to go twice. We didn't get to do so this year, but I wish we could. We're not, by any means, rich but we've been haunted by family illness and know you can't take it with you and sometimes it's only the memories you have left. So, enjoy yourself and don't feel guilty.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:39 AM
Joanne

Oh, Vita, you surely came to the right place to ask such a question: NO, of course not, you silly thing, twice a year is a bare minimum! As long as you'renot neglecting the kids, your health, or the retirement account, I say go for it! <BR> <BR>My husband expected to travel after retirement, but died at 47. Now, I have to take twice as many trips to make up for his missed ones, what a shame.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:40 AM
Lori

Go and don't even think twice about it. <BR>If you can afford it and you want to do it why not is my motto.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:42 AM
Deb

Life is way too short! Enjoy... <BR> <BR>This year I have been to England three times. I just got back from Kenya where I met up with friends and visited both the Lake Victoria area and went on safari in the Masai Mara and Amboseli. And I visited my cousins in Toronto this past January. <BR> <BR>All these are in addition to going to Las Vegas and San Jose for some short weekend trips to visit friends and taking time off for visiting with my Canadian cousins in Southern California!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 10:01 AM
mark

Vita - <BR>I'm went to Europe twice for the first time last year - and am doing so this year. Five years ago I would have never thought I would be capable of such "extravegance". I can relate to feeling a bit guilty - but it's not like I'm flying first class and staying at the Four Seasons. Maybe for my 40th birthday though. If you can do it - do it - live large. As Bjork says: it takes courage to enjoy yourself.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 10:02 AM
Patrick

As many of you know I'm retired and often spend up to 5 months at a time in Europe during the summer. This morning I was working with a retired friend on a volunteer project. She and her husband did four separate trips to Europe this summer. They prefer to do package tours -- boat trip on the Rhone, a trip on the Elbe, a 17 day Italian excursion, etc. They don't like being gone too long at a time, and have found that since many of these deals include air fare at virtually no cost -- they are happy going back and forth. And this summer they racked up one heck of a lot of FF miles.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 11:48 AM
Elina

Now why would it be extravagant!? I live in Europe, so I cannot really "go to Europe", but Europe has so many countries and different cultures, that I usually explore other European countries about three times a year. And by that I mean week to two weeks countryside and small town exploring. On top of that I make couple of weekend trips to different big cities. <BR> <BR>But because Europe is not the whole world, I make every year one or two trips outside it. I have travelled to USA, Costa Rica, Thailand, Malesia, Kambodza, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt... In December I am off to Cuba, but before that I make quick visit to Barcelona. <BR> <BR>To clarify this a bit, I am 50+, my chidren are adults and I am self employed, so I can travel whenever my work allows it.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 02:48 PM
Judy

I loved this question, because I've asked myself the same thing. I love going to Europe. I go by myself most of the time, get the lowest coach fare--now that Delta has cancelled their system-wide upgrades--and stay at small hotels in the little neighborhoods. I eat in the local cafes, pick up stuff at the grocery stores, and just enjoy being someplace different for a week or so. Sometimes I get a train pass and go places, sometimes I stay in one place. <BR> <BR>My family and friends seem to think this is extravagant, but I think it's necessary for my soul and sanity. I've raised 6 children, I'm a widow and an entrepreneur who is still working, and I am trying so hard not to feel guilty. I took off for London when my husband died in April, which was the best thing in the world for me, and now I'm going to Paris over Thanksgiving since all my kids are going to be with "in-laws." I'd like to plan to go to Europe at least twice a year for the rest of my life! Tell me it's OK--those of you who know what this yearning feels like!!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 03:02 PM
Capo

With only three weeks a year, I'm limited more by vacation time than by finances (though I usually travel off-season to help keep costs lower), so I've been going once a year to Europe since 1998. If I had more vacation time, I'd probably go twice and perhaps even more. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 05:12 PM
Donna

I think everything depends entirely upon how you wish to spend your hard-earned money. Keywords in your inquiry are "extravagant" and "budget". We go to Europe once a year. To do this, we make do with our old couch, plain very old refrigerator, and deposit what we would have spent on dinner out Friday night in our "trip" savings account, or send a like amount to pay down the credit cards we used on our last trip, so the balances will be zero when we take off next time. To us, travel is not a "vacation", but an "experience". An opportunity to experience the history, architecture, culture, daily life, of another country, around way before ours. As for traveling off season, as we've gotten older (and more experience, I suppose), we've determined that it's worth the "extra" to go in the nice weather when the trees have leaves, the flowers are in bloom all over, and the weather is more pleasant for being out and about, enjoying the outdoor cafes and open air boat and bus tours. When we are intent on museum hopping (indoors, obviously), the off season is perfect. We won't be out and about much and the lines are shorter. But, when we want to enjoy the scenery, we go in the nicer weather. All in all, it's a personal choice. It's your money, and it's up to you to spend it any way you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -