Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it the same exchange rate at Thomas Cook at Dulles airport as in Rome?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Antoinette

I thought I would get a "jump" on things by exchanging my money while I'm at the Dulles
airport in DC. But, I'm beginning to wonder whether or not it will be the same exchange rate (US currency to Euro) as it would be
in Italy. I understand that the Euro changes
from day to day.
Would I do better to wait until I arrive in Rome and do the exchange there?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:33 PM
ttt

to the top for Antoinette

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:45 PM
off

Please tell me that you are not going to spend your European vacation worrying about the minute daily flucuations of the value of the Euro?! Exchange your money where it is most convienient for you and go enjoy your vacation!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Christina

no, exchange rates in the US are generally horrible. The exchange rates at Thomas Cooks varies from site to site, even within the same city. In Washington (where I live, so I know) the rates are worse at Dulles than just downtown at Union Station, but airports know they have sitting ducks and try to gouge them. However, even at non-airport locations, their rates are worse here than in Europe, in my experience. You definitely should wait until you get to Rome and then probably away from their airport, also, or using an ATM instead at the airport, if you can.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Marilyn

I've never seen the exchange rate in the American currency exchanges even meet those in the foreign exchange offices. I usually get a little, if I don't have any Euros, before I go to have on hand for taxi fares, etc. (say $50 worth); but get the majority at a bank in the country we are visiting. M.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:18 PM
xxx

As a rule, you'll get the best rates by buying the currency of the country you are in -- convert dollars to euro in Europe, euro to doallars in the U.S. But it is not a bad idea to get some euro before you leave, in case the ATM/exchange bureau at FCO is out of service/has mile-long lines.