Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it super busy last weekend that Buckingham Palace is open?

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Will be arriving in London Sept 24-28. That's the last weekend Buckingham Palace is open for the year. Not sure of my personal schedule yet. I know you can buy tickets when you get there, however, since it's the last weekend that it is open, would it be better to book ahead of time? I don't know if attendance would be lower since the economy is such as it is, or if this would even be affected.

Is this something my hotel concierge can do for me when I get there?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM

I'd book - the crowds won't likely be worse. They do timed tickets exclusively so middle of the month or last weekend would be about the same. But since you have a very small window of opportunity, IMO you really should pre-book.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM

Hello janisj, I'd like to ask you on the same subject if you think I'll have a lot of difficulty getting tickets if I only reserve after arriving in London (we will be there for five days the first week of August before heading elsewhere in England). Thanks for your advice!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM

Hypolite: As long as you have some flexibility and don't have to visit on a specific day you should be OK. I've been twice - once booking far in advance back the first year the Palace was open and it was pretty much booked solid the entire summer. The second time I booked after arriving in London since I had a whole week and wasn't sure about and got my second choice.

So long way of saying -- if you must go on a certain day or time -- book ahead,
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM

Thank you janisj for the information. As long as we remain flexible we should be OK.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM

I just received my tickets in the mail directly from London for the Buckingham Palace Tour. I paid 34GBP for two tickets, one senior and one adult. Because the GBP is constantly fluctuating upward I try to buy ahead to get the better pricing.

They were delivered via mail to my home at no extra charge.