Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is it safe to use the toliet in Spain yet? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-it-safe-to-use-the-toliet-in-spain-yet-245560/)

carol Aug 2nd, 2002 08:08 PM

Is it safe to use the toliet in Spain yet?

I was recently in Spain and found it so disgusting the condition of the toliets there. So could someone please tell me if the Spanish sanitation department has done anything to make their toliets more acceptable be Candian standards? In fact, I I will not go back to Spain until they begin to care about cleanliness.

Checking Aug 2nd, 2002 08:20 PM

Wait a minute and I'll check it out.

uratroll Aug 2nd, 2002 08:23 PM

troll

Love Aug 2nd, 2002 08:27 PM

The toliet is still not safe - what is an acceptable Canadian Standard? I thought that Canadians all used outhouses.

Connor Aug 2nd, 2002 10:57 PM

Canadians do use outhouses but no toilet paper to wipe their ass' with. Never heard of a canadian who could afford to go to Spain. Carol, why don't you just go back to fornicating with your brother, and spare us your infantile trolling.

Spell Checker Aug 2nd, 2002 11:04 PM

Carol, please go back to grammar school and learn how to spell. The word is TOILET, and if that is too difficult for you to spell (it could not possibly be a typo, as you typed it that way 3 times), possibly you can spell the word COMMODE.<BR><BR>You could not even be a CANADIAN, as you can't even spell that word correctly -- your spelling was "CANDIAN", of course that might be some place in outer space, where you always seem to be.<BR><BR>I suppose that Fodors will FLUSH this thread away on Monday.

xxx Aug 2nd, 2002 11:08 PM

If Carol's looking for a job, she could always return to Spain and keep herself occupied. Don't forget to bring a toilet bowl brush and those scrubbing bubbles with you.

Nancy Mitford Aug 3rd, 2002 12:28 AM

"Toilet" is vulgar. If you must discuss such concepts, please say "lav" or "loo".

Canadian Aug 3rd, 2002 06:05 AM

Connor,<BR>Why would you think Canadians could not afford to go to Spain?<BR>If you can afford to leave your trailer park, then surely some Canadians can afford to take international vacations!?<BR>Keep watching TV, you are not worldly enough to contribute to this board.

mike Aug 3rd, 2002 06:15 AM

We were in Barcelona and Mallorca recently and found the restrooms to be mostly ok. The ones we used were at our hotel, and restaurants and department stores we went to. We even took a small packet of disposable paper toilet seat covers, but only had to use it on one occasion the whole trip.

Jason Aug 3rd, 2002 06:50 AM

Toilets in a lot of bars, etc. in Europe are usually given a good cleaning in the morning. But at night with typically heavy usage, they can get quite cluttered (dirty).<BR>Generally, the higher class the establishment, the cleaner/better the toilet facilities.<BR>I've also experienced some pretty dirty public toilet facilities in North America!

BigAl Aug 3rd, 2002 09:24 AM

The word is pronounced TWA-LAY.<BR><BR>Big Al

Ben Haines Aug 3rd, 2002 10:59 AM

I am afraid it is not safe. There are mutant ninja alligators in the pipes, Basque semtex bombs devilishly detonated by pull cords, wild ecologists who break down toilet walls in their campaign for community micturation, Opus Dei cells in secret conclave, seat covers missing ? stolen as raw material for castanets, men sitting for ages as result of eating to much roast sucking pig?<BR><BR>I fear, too, that Big Al is mistaken. A TWA-LAY is a form of Alleghenies folk song, blues to mark the passing of a great airline. A TOY-LET, on the other hand, is a hiring-out of a doll s house.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR><BR>

zzzzzzzzz Aug 3rd, 2002 11:23 AM

'Toilet' actually means the act of cleaning/grooming oneself ( usually in the morning ) & has been corrupted over the years to become a synonym for the correct word, 'Lavatory'.

John G Aug 3rd, 2002 01:56 PM

Dear Nancy Mitford, since your sister, Debo, is the Duchess of Devonshire, Im surprised that you don't know that the English aristocracy never says, "loo," but rather, "toilet."<BR><BR>Its is such a shame that your sister, Felicity, was a Nazi.

Connor Aug 5th, 2002 09:42 PM

"Canadian" Chimp, most Americans live quite a joyous, comfortable life full of luxuries. When you refer to the unworldly trailer trash watching television, you are describing yourself and most backward Canadians. That is why the Jerry Springer show is one of Canada's favorite shows. Every pub I've ever been to in Canada was either airing hockey or Springer. Oh, and how you love all that "white trash". Unlike your people, Americans are educated, well-traveled and are used to the finer things in life. Scrape your pennies so you can holiday in third world countries like Cuba and Haiti. Spain is too good for your kind.

DW Aug 5th, 2002 10:11 PM

Is Carol the author of this ridiculous post on medications? I find it hilarious that anyone from canada would put on airs, especially towards europeans and americans.

frank Aug 6th, 2002 02:11 AM

The Spanish toilets are perfectly safe.You are not.

maria Aug 6th, 2002 03:58 AM

Funny. We just came back from 2 weeks in Spain . We were in Sevilla, Cordoba, Madrid, Toledo, Segovia and Santiago and I was pleasantly surprised that public bathrooms EVERYWHERE were so clean. Having been in Europe many times I was not expecting this to be the case but we had no complaints.

Canadian Aug 6th, 2002 07:14 AM

Connor,<BR>You statements are so unrealistic that you sound like a complete idiot.<BR>You have obviously had limited exposure to Canada. How can you call yourself an educated American when your statements are so unfounded & your views are so limited?<BR>There are different classes & standards of living in every country. Your lack of perspective leads me to conclude that you are neither worldly nor educated. It’s not your fault. You just don’t know any better. But please, don’t pretend to be a know-it-all if you don’t know anything. By the way, did you know that Jerry Springer is an American show & features real live Americans? Also, what is with your pre-occupation with money? Obviously, not having money seems to be a sore point with you. I wonder what that says about you? If you were more comfortable with your socio-economic situation you wouldn’t be on this board spreading your ridiculous opinions. Did you really only visit pubs when you were in Canada? What does that say about you Connor? Hmmm...<BR>