Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is it safe to Travel by EuroNight 463 - From Munich to Budapest (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-it-safe-to-travel-by-euronight-463-from-munich-to-budapest-975692/)

madhusv Apr 24th, 2013 12:22 PM

Is it safe to Travel by EuroNight 463 - From Munich to Budapest

Hello
I am planning to travel alone by the over night EuroNight 463 from Munich to Budapest. I am planning to reserve a Berth in a 2 person sleeper car in June. I would like to know if it is safe to travel by this train at night times. I realize that I can take a flight but I want to take the night train once for the experience.

Surfergirl Apr 24th, 2013 12:41 PM

I haven't taken that specific sleeper train on that specific route, but have taken many others.

You should be fine and often there's a night conductor in each car or covering a couple of cars in the event of a problem.

The question I have, though, is, if you are traveling alone, do they allow you to reserve a 2 person sleeper car -- meaning that you might have another single passenger you don't know in an enclosed space. If I were going it alone, I'd either opt for the single compartment, or be in a four or six person couchette. I'd rather be completely alone or with a bunch of strangers rather than just one stranger. But that's my personal comfort zone, and it may not be yours.

PalenQ Apr 24th, 2013 12:55 PM

In any case it will be safe - like Surfergal I have taken zillions of overnight trains and never seen any problems from a physical safety standpoint - have heard of a few thefts but that is rare as well - keep your valuables on your person at night and yes sleep with any expensive camera, laptop, smart phone, etc.

I though on many trains that only couples could book doubles - some trains do put similar sex individuals together but many put anyone in.

For lots of great info on overnight trains and European trains in general I always spotlight these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

and yes an overnight train is a unique expereince - I always take the 4-berth compartments if available - singles or doubles charge so so much more - and in shared couchette type compartments I have always been in with nice folks - often with great discussions, etc.

adrienne Apr 24th, 2013 03:27 PM

I'm guessing you're a woman since you're concerned about safety. I agree with Surfergirl and would choose a couchette on the off chance that you're put into a sleeper with a stranger of either sex. I would not feel comfortable in a two-person sleeper.

I too have had lots of fun in a six person couchette. Bring wine and make friends!

madhusv Apr 24th, 2013 03:51 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

Dukey1 Apr 24th, 2013 05:04 PM

As far as I remember you won't BE put in a double with someone of the opposite sex.

PalenQ Apr 26th, 2013 08:06 AM

Dukey - can you even book just one place in a double - I thought often two people had to book together?

Some doubles even I've seen are two singles adjoining each other that can be divided into singles.

madhusv May 8th, 2013 10:03 AM

Thank you very much to all of you for your responses. I travelled from Munich to Budapest with out any issues.. The journey was very enjoyable needless to say safe as well. Will travel again if opportunity comes.