COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

is it realistic to drive from Libourne to Lascaux2 to make tour. . . .

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help. To maximize my time, I'm hoping it's realistic to take the TGV from Paris to Libourne, arrive at 2 pm, pick up Europcar rental and drive to English tour at Lascaux2 which begins at 4:30 pm. They said I can pick up my tickets directly at Lascaux without going to Montignac b/c of pre-buying. Do you think this is realistic? Via Michelin says 1 hr 38 min, trying to allow for extra drive time and time to pick up rental, it will be kind of close, but do you think it is realistic, or no?

If I do it this way, I would have time to see Font du Gaume the next day, but if I can't make it, I would probably have to nix one of them.

thanks,

Ming
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 06:47 PM

I hope someone with experience in this area can answer your questiion. My comment is about Via Michelin. I use Via Michelin to get a general idea of distance and time, but I wouldn't use their information if the connections were going to be close.

When found their estimates to be inaccurated
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Sorry. I'm having trouble with my computer.

That last sentence was supposed to state that on my last trip to Germany, I found their times to be inaccurate. Perhaps it was because of road construction, but the drives took considerably longer than Via Michelin's estimates.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 10:58 PM

I doubt it. You arrive at two, which means that you will not have the car until 2:20 or 2:30. You could get stuck behind a truck between Le Lardin and Montignac. The 20 minutes extra can disappear in no time.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:35 AM

No, in all likelihood you won't make it. First off, picking the car up in Libourne will take at least a half-hour. Second, viamichelin always underestimates stuff. Third, you'll get lost or there will be déviations, or both, or you'll hit a roundabout and take the wrong turn. Fourth, once you get to Montignac, you have to navigate your way out of the town and into the hills where Lascaux is situated, find parking, and walk to the site. So....no.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:41 AM
ira

Hi Ming,

I agree with the others - you will miss the tour by 10 min or more.

Can you take an earlier train?

If you can't, I suggest Font de Gaume over Lascaux.