Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is it possible to walk from Cadenabbia to Menaggio and if not is there a bus service? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-it-possible-to-walk-from-cadenabbia-to-menaggio-and-if-not-is-there-a-bus-service-672054/)

cambe Jan 20th, 2007 11:37 AM

Is it possible to walk from Cadenabbia to Menaggio and if not is there a bus service?

I was hoping to stay in Menaggio in August but can't find a hotel with vacancies within my budget (80 euro, single). I have found a hotel in Cadenabbia (hotel Britannia Excelsior),well within my budget.

I understand this town is next door to Menaggio and there is a ferry stop but I can't find any information as to how far it is from Menaggio. As I will be arriving in Menaggio by bus from Lugano I need to know if it is walkabie, is there a bus service or do I need to take a taxi?

Thanks
Helen

Gianni Jan 20th, 2007 11:52 AM

Ciao Helen,
I write you from Italy (I live near Milan).
Cadenabbia is close to Tremezzo (Villa Carlotta) and is about 6 / 7 kilometers from Menaggio .. not walkable! BUT there is a bus service on that coast of the lake connecting Menaggio to Como and Cadenabbia is on that route. During the week in daytime buses should have (in summers) a schdule every 30 / 40 minutes.
Please let me know if you need any other info / detail
Ciao, arrivederci.

Gianni

cambe Jan 20th, 2007 12:36 PM

Thank you Gianni,

At the moment that is all I need to know as I can now finalise my hotel reservations for Switzerland and Lake Como (I had no idea that hotels for these areas would book up so early!!.

I will probably come back to you at a later stage with more detailed questions.

Thanks & arrivederci.

Helen

Dukey Jan 20th, 2007 01:19 PM

Cambe...did you look at hotels in all three mid-lake towns?

LucieV Jan 20th, 2007 04:12 PM

I wish I had asked this question before we went to LC last autumn, cambe. When we consulted our trusty little map of the Lake, many of the towns looked very close & the distances seemed eminently walkable. Not so!

viking Jan 20th, 2007 06:13 PM

I did do that walk from Villa Carlotta to Menaggio. It was super scenic and wasn't too long, and I could have even carried my backpack suitcase OK... except for a short stretch south of Mennagio. While a vast area around Villa Carlotta (north and south) has a wonderful walkway with stunning views, that short stretch south of Mennagio is blighted by being too narrow for pedestrians. You can do it with willpower, but it takes either courage or clambering out of the way.

cambe Jan 21st, 2007 12:26 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

Dukey, I didn't check the other side of the lake as I will be arriving in Menaggio from Lugano and assumed the best way to the airport was from this side of the lake. I have now discovered that the train from Varenna will take me to Bergamo airport with a change in somewhere beginning with L (sorry can't find the timetable).

I have e-mailed some hotels and had a had a reply from Albergo Del Sole who can accommadate me (don't like there cancellation clause 25% if cancelled from confirmation up to 8 days!), I am waiting for a reply fron the Hotel Du Lac and Eremo Gaudio. They are both above my budget but get great reviews (as does Del Sole) on tripadvisor.

If any of you are still here is Varenna a better option for me?

Thanks
Helen

Steve_James Jan 21st, 2007 02:39 PM

Lecco. For train ifo see:

www.trenitalia.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Gianni Jan 22nd, 2007 04:10 AM

Ciao Helen,
this is a short summary of your possible train schedule.

From Varenna and the "east" side of the lake you can get a train to Lecco (30 minutes..) and there change to Bergamo (1 hour trip).
From Menaggio, "west" coast, you have to go by bus to Como, get a train in Milan direction and change (after a 30 - 45 minutes trip) either in Seregno or Monza (better choice, you can visit also this little but very nice town for both Duomo and shopping). Monza - Bergamo is more or less 1 hour by train. In Bergamo from the train station to Orio airport you have bus or taxi, consider 15 - 30 minutes.

BE CAREFULL: in Italy August is the hottest month for both weather and holiday peak. Some local commuters trains are cancelled!

Ciao, arrivederci.

Gianni P.

cambe Jan 22nd, 2007 08:54 AM

Thank you Steve and Gianni,

I have decided to stay in Varenna
a) because it is easier to get to the airport.
b) because I have got confirmation from both the Hotel Du Lac and Eremo Gaudio, unfortunatly I can't decide which one to choose! They both get super reports both here and on tripadvisor - any comments? I will start a new thread on this as I am so confused.

Gianni, I am prepared for the heat and the growds but what do you mean by cancellations during August? My flight is at 15.00pm but I always like to be early, I intend to be there at 13.00pm. There are 2 trains leaving Varenna that will get me there on time. Is there a possibility that both of these trains could be cancelled at the last minute?

Thank you
Helen

JJBhoy Jan 22nd, 2007 01:14 PM

Helen,

I'm not sure how fixed your plans are but, if you can manage it, I would recommend trying to fit in at least some time in Bergamo itself before you catch your flight - it's a beautiful city.

Here's a link to my trip report covering our stay at both Lake Como & Bergamo itself. It also includes some info about travelling by train between Bergamo & Varenna which you might find interesting;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34598121

Jim

smarty Jan 22nd, 2007 01:46 PM

Cambe--I think the chances of either of your trains being cancelled are zero or thereabouts. Not sure what Gianni was trying to say.

August can be very hot and some of the local trains (such as Milano-Varenna from personal experience) do not have AC but they do run.

Maybe Gianni can tell us more about the possible cancellations?????