Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to go to Paris for 8 days and not gain weight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this is not a dumb question, bc it is a bit of a concern for me.

Of course, a pound or two I won't mind... I always pack more forgiving pants for the ride home. I know I have to try the cheese, the bread, the pastries, the pate, the wine, and I LOVE all of these things. But they will attach themselves to me forever.

Any tips, advice on how to enjoy the eight days but not be a blimp at the end? Or is it just not possible. We do plan to walk a lot, and I know that will help. Thanks all.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:32 AM

we spent 3 weeks in Paris this summer and did not gain or lost weight. The walking keeps it in check. And, that was with our daughter doing a "bakery run" each morning! Have fun!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I just got back from 3 days in London and 7 in Paris, and actually lost two pounds, despite drinking gallons of wine and eating daily doses of chocolate, pate, and bread. I think I probably walked a minimum of five miles each day, though, which I normally do when travelling.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I always eat whatever I want on vacation, and all the walking seems to burn off the calories I eat, and then some. I come home actually weighing less.

In Paris I can't resist tucking into cheeses, pastries, and patés no end, and I plan to do it again when I go this April.

But if you are concerned, try what I'm doing: losing a few pounds beforehand. I'm just eating a little less than usual in the ten weeks I have until my trip.

Good luck, have fun on your trip, and don't worry about your weight while you are there!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Don't worry, with all the walking and super small portions, you won't gain weight unless you double up on the pastries.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

If it makes a difference, we are going at the end of April. I am hoping for more fruit, veg choices in the markets.

You guys don't understand. We are 50 and if I just look at a chocolate, it can make me gain. LOL. Your comments are helpful.

I went to Rome when I was 24. We ate like pigs, and didn't gain a thing. But I was 24 and we walked everywhere.

The times they are a changin'...
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM

I do understand, Heavens. I'm 41, and I can't eat as I did when I was 30 in Paris. That's why I'm losing a little beforehand.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:52 AM

since no one forces you to eat poorly, just make the right decisions, eat in moderation and walk.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I was there last September, went off my diet by eating pastry, bread, chocolate, potatoes, etc and came home about 8 pounds LIGHTER. Of course, walking somewhere along the lines of 8-12 miles a day really helped.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:57 AM

I've lost weight since I moved to Paris. I'm living on cheese, wine and dessert.

Actually, I do consume fewer calories because I eat better quality food in smaller quantities and less frequently. The keys are: (a) no snacking; (b) no Anglo-American junk food (no McDonalds, no chocolate bars, no potato chips, no regular or sugar-free soda); and (c) lots of walking. Indulge in bread and cheese for your breakfast. Allow yourself a treat (pastry, cake, very good chocolate) for each hour you spend walking per day. Limit your paté indulgence to shared portions with your partner. Don't waste calories on food that isn't really good. And one not-very-French practice. Don't eat too late at night. This doesn't mean having dinner at 6 pm. But try to sit down to dinner by 9 pm.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:10 AM

I've been to Paris twice, and both times didn't gain any weight. Between the walking and climbing steps, I burned enough calories to offset the extra calories. The last trip, I had started the South Beach diet, and lost 9 lbs, so I didn't want to gain that back. I was able to make better choices, such as having a daily croissant or a glass or two of wine for lunch or dinner. I wouldn't have both in one day. My one big downfall was the "frits and mussels in wine & garlic sauce" in Normandy. I had to dip some bread in that wonderful sauce. We did so much sightseeing that we were really only eating two meals a day and some cheese for snacking. Have fun!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:12 AM

As a local, I think those "paté", "chocolate" things are a bit too much part of the Paris cliché. As the previous poster suggested, the key is moderation and balance in you diet.You can have a salad as your diner or your lunch. Eat vegetables and fruit! Drink water and wine with your meals, not soda!. Avoid the washed-down, dripping-with-sauce tourist versions of some regional French specialties.... Be careful with the ice cream, the pastries...and with all the walking on the top of that....
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Over 50 ... 1 week; ate and drank really well! Lost about 6 pounds and I'm a tad plump to begin with...
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I ate way too much in Paris and did not gain a pound. I'm a very picky eater so I really didn't eat large meals for lunch or dinner, but I had more than my fare share of chocolate, chocolate crepes, wine, pastries, and, well, you get the idea. As mentioned above, Paris is a great walking city. We walked everyone, so I wasn't too concerned.

I'm 27, by the way. I'm sure this makes a difference, but its simple: if you burn more calories than you take in you won't gain any weight. Just plan on walking everything off.

Tracy
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM
ira

Hi H,

>Is it possible to go to Paris for 8 days and not gain weight?<

Yes, as noted - do a lot of walking.

We are in oour late 60's and always lose weight in France and Italy.

OTOH, we gain weight in the Germanic countries.

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:33 AM

No.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:07 AM

I'm in my 50s and petite and I have to really work hard not to LOSE weight when I'm in Paris or France. Even if I allow myself to eat everything I want to I usually lose a pound or two. I suppose it helps that I'm not a chocolate or pastry eater, except in very, very small amounts. I do agree that a lot of people seem to think that while in Paris their diet is going to be full of high-calorie sweets; for me it's far more full of tasty fresh foods.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Gee, I wish we could get "tasty fresh foods" in America.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Heavens, I'm also on the other side of 50 and have experienced both maintaining my weight and gaining weight in Paris. I usually stay for 2+ weeks which translates to alot of restaurant meals. The time I gained weight I ate bread at every meal; I was able to maintain my weight when I ate bread only with dinner. I drink wine (too) freely and have dessert only once a day.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Hello, Heavens, I am in the same "woman of a certain age" bracket as you are, and have the same problem gaining weight just by looking at food.

For 2 weeks in Switzerland I had cheese for breakfast, ice-cream for snack, cheese for lunch, ice-cream for snack, cheese for dinner, glass of wine.

Guess what - my husband weighed me before the trip and after, and the weight was the same! This is the only reason he's still alive.

On a serious note, you will be walking even if you think you won't. Shopping, museums, to the bus stop, a river promenade, etc... So don't worry... and do try these fresh salads and fruit!

By the way, the red wine lowers your cholesterol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -