Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > IS It Possible to Go To Ireland from London for One Day?

IS It Possible to Go To Ireland from London for One Day?

Mar 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

IS It Possible to Go To Ireland from London for One Day?

Having a dispute with a couple we are traveling to London with - they'd like to do a one day trip to Ireland from London.

I can't see how any sightseeing could be done for one day. Am I right or wrong? They would like to take a train.
Mar 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Is this a joke?

Do you mean Scotland?

No trains from London to Ireland . . .
Mar 14th, 2007, 04:05 PM

You can't get a train. It's 400 miles each way, and at least 80 of that is on the water.

Of course you can fly to Dublin or Belfast for a day (preferably from LCY where checkin times are a lot shorter, and preferably to Belfast Harbout). Thousands of us do it every day. I've had an interesting daytrip to Armagh, Eniskillen and Derry (as well as Monaghan, back in the days when you had to explain to a squaddie what someone with an Irish surname was doing gallivanting backwards and forwards across the border in a hired car. And then had the fun of watching his face when he heard the cut-glass accent) and got back to Islington for a dinner party.

But that's all you'll see. Easily time in Dublin for the book of Kells, the Chester Beatty library, a spot of stew for lunch and a few glasses of stout. Hardly Ireland.

But fun. And the stout's much better than in London
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:13 AM

You can take the train from London to Ireland (obviously with a ferry in the middle). Look at the man in seat 61 for advice http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm.
It costs £52 for a return from any station in Britain using any ferry service (they are trying to promote this as alternative to flying).

Mind you, it takes 6 hours each way even if you choose the fastest ferry option. So your friends are nuts if they think they can do a day trip that way.
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:28 AM

Nona:

Am I missing something? How do you get 6 hours? I can find journeys where train plus boat equals 6. But they all seem to have a couple of hours hanging round Crewe, Holyhead or Dun Laoire.

The correct answer might transform Mrs F's birthday celebrations.
Mar 15th, 2007, 04:54 AM

Oh you are probably right, I just looked at the actual travel time and assumed that the trips would be planned so that train/ferry connect, but that would be too obvious really! ;-)
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Many people do day trips to Ireland from London. The flights can cost as little as $30 each way on www.ryanair.com or www.aerlingus.com. First flight is about 6.30am to Dublin.If you want to get a taste of the countryside go instead to Shannon,rent a car there and see the Cliffs of Moher and some of Connemara in a day.
Mar 16th, 2007, 10:08 AM

You could fly from London to Ireland, but I think its pretty pointless as you wouldnt get to see much of the country.
Mar 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM

What do they want to see in Ireland?? If just Dublin then it could" be done -- just like folks squeeze in a day trip from London to Paris. They don't "see" Paris but they do get there, see a bit, and get back.

But a day trip to scenic parts of Ireland - not very practical.
Mar 16th, 2007, 03:06 PM
ira

Hi K,

Your friends have been looking at maps of too large a scale.

Don't dispute with them.

Let them book a train/ferry crossing.

When you see them the next day, ask them to tell you how wonderful it was.

Search this Thread