Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to find an inexpensive nice hotel Has anybody been the following hotel in Tuscany

Is it possible to find an inexpensive nice hotel Has anybody been the following hotel in Tuscany

Aug 27th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Yu

We are looking for two nights accommodation at the end of Oct. near Chianti area (e.g. San Gimignano, Colle Val d'Elsa, Monteriggioni, Castelina in Chianti). We will have a car so the location is not very strict as long as it is a good base to explore the area.

I budget around L200.000 per night for accommodation. Is it possible to find a nice hotel or B&B? I will appreicate any recommodations, thoughts..

Does anybody have been the following hotels?
- Hotel Pescille (SG)
- Hotel La Vecchia Cartiera (Colle)
- Le Colline (SG)

Thanks!!!

Sep 2nd, 2001, 01:07 PM
beth marciel

If you have'nt already search for the San Gimignano website - they list all their hotels there - great town to stay in if you're doing day trips by car during the day - heres the best htls there:
Antico Pozzo
La Cisterna
Leon Bianco

Sep 2nd, 2001, 04:41 PM
elizabeth

Hi Yu - have you tried a search of the site? I just searched for "Pescille" and got over 30 threads (sorry - too many to "top" for you). The comments I read were all positive - although it seems there are a couple of different lodgings with Pescille in the name. Try doing a search - if you run into problems (the search engine has been buggy lately) e-mail me and I'll do another search and copy some of the postings into a 'word' document and send them to you.

Regards

Elizabeth

Sep 2nd, 2001, 04:56 PM
Diane

We had a choice when planning our trip for two nights at Pescille (which has views of San G) or two nights at CastleBigozzi (closer to Monteriggioni. We ended up at CastleBigozzi for 200,000 lira per night and it was extraordinary. I don't think you can go wrong with either. We found Colle Val d'Elsa very confusing -- never did make it to the centro as there are multiple suburbs with the same names. So, I'd recommend sticking to the San G choices or CB. At this point, you had better pin it down, as October is a pretty popular time in Tuscany.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 03:13 AM
effe

Hi yu,
I reccomend to try by my friend Catherina.She worked in Florence and Chiant for years.She knows many many places.Really. E-mail her at [email protected]

Sep 5th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Carol

My husband and I have stayed at the Hotel Pescille in San Gimignano twice. We absolutely love it there and would highly recommend it. Good location, great rooms, buffet breakfast, staff very helpful and it's just beautiful there. Can I say anymore!!