Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to find a charming hotel close to a metro station for under US $200.00 in Paris?

Search

Is it possible to find a charming hotel close to a metro station for under US $200.00 in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 05:35 AM
z
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dream of staying in a nice and inexpensive hotel in Paris.

We hope to find a quiet hotel, on the right bank, with an elevator, helpful staff and rooms with large bed, en-suite bathrooms not too small. Also within walking distance to many attractions. Is it possible to find something appealing at this price range? Do you know of such place? Please help us!

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 05:47 AM
ira

Of course you can.

Does it have to be on the right bank?

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:28 AM

In March of this year my husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Paris St. Germain des pres. It was the best location for the metro stop st.placide and it was just about 4 blocks to the main train station of Montparnasse. It was reasonably priced at 114 euro per night, hotel staff were very nice.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Best Western Derby Eiffel

It's right around the corner from the Ecole Militaire Métro station, across the street from the Ecole Militaire, and down the block from the Place Ecole Militaire. Nearby sights include: Ecole Militaire, Eiffel Tower, Invalides. You can get anywhere in town in 20 minutes, and Versailles in 25.

€100 should get you a nice double in the off-season.

<i>p.s.</i> There are 1,560 M&eacute;tro station on the RATP network, so finding a hotel that <u>isn't</u> near one would be difficult.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:10 AM

z,

When are you going? That can make a big difference. $200 is about 160 Euros. That's about mid-range for a 3* hotel.

Here's a hotel we enjoyed. The rooms aren't large, but the bath was pretty big and modern. Fabulous location---on the left bank. Close to everything.

Hotel de Notre Dame
http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/index.html

I haven't check rates lately, but you might also look at Hotel Brighton
http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/index.html
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Robiespierre said &quot;p.s. There are 1,560 M&eacute;tro station on the RATP network, so finding a hotel that isn't near one would be difficult.&quot;

BINGO! 'Nuf said!
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:23 AM

I'm only guessing that you haven't been to Paris and when you say Right Bank, you don't really know what that means, but you THINK that's what you want right? What part of the right bank? If you are thinking about being near the Arch and along Champs Elysees, that's one thing and sometimes when people say right bank, that's what they're thinking, but the Marais is also on the right bank. Is that OK? And you'll find that the majority of posters here favor the left bank where there are wonderful small hotels easily in your price range. I only stayed on the right bank once -- the first time I went and I thought that's what you are &quot;supposed&quot; to do. Is it the same with you or do you really have a reason for specifying the right bank?
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Chatters

Strongly suggest Hotel Muguet, close to two Metro Stations, walking distance to Eiffel Tower. Located on Rue Chevert, small, quiet street, on a residential neighborhood, great restaurants, walking distance to many beautiful, interesting sites (almost on the backyard of Musee Rodin). We paid about $105/double room back in 1997 and 1998. They are booked solid most of the time, so I suggest you e-mail and, at a minimum, check availabilty. http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007muguet.htm

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:08 AM

It really does make a difference what time of year, as a lot of nice hotels on the Right Bank will have much lower rates in July-August, for example, than during peak season. It would be pretty easy to get a hotel at that rate during then.

I don't know why everybody thinks you can't possibly mean what you say about wanting a hotel on the Right Bank, and I think everybody has recommended hotels only on the Left Bank. Some people like staying over there, there's nothing wrong with it. I know Elaine on here stays on the Right Bank and probalby has a few ideas, if she sees this (or you search posts). I don't know that area as well, but I know there are plenty of hotels over there that can provide a good stay for you in that price range -- I would choose the Madeleine/Opera or Marais area, myself, for the Right Bank. There are some around the Louvre, also, that would work.

In the Marais, the Bretonnerie might be a good idea. Some folks like Caron de Beaumarchais but I think its rooms are smaller. Around the Louvre, I think the hotels Relais du Louvre and Hotel de la Place du Louvre are in that price range. Maybe the Brighton, or the Hotel Mansart near the Opera would be worth looking into. They are in that price range (Mansart around 150 euro, I think).
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:20 AM

I'm not sure how big the bathrooms are in the larger doubles at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc but otherwise it fits all your criteria, although it is in the Marais district (a very charming location). As Patrick stated, this might not be within your perception of the Right Bank but it is on the Right Bank. The Metro is a mere 5 minutes walk away and the 2 &icirc;les (Notre Dame, Ste-Chapelle, Berthillon ice cream, shopping, Conciergerie) and the Left Bank (Latin Quarter, Sorbonne, Latin Quarter, Place St-Michel, Shakespeare &amp; Co., rue Mouffetard market street, Mus&eacute;e Cluny, Arenes de Lutece) is just a few minutes walk south. The Place des Vosges is 3-5 minutes walk east, the Bastille is about 5-10 minutes walk east, the H&ocirc;tel Carnavalet is 2 minutes walk north and the Mus&eacute;e Picasso is about 5-10 minutes walk northwest.

A double is 80&euro;, it's a quiet area off of a charming square, Place Ste. Catherine. Staff was wonderful to me.
www.hoteljeannedarc.com
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais in the 4th.

we stayed there last april. it's on the right bank in the Marais district which is extremely central to everything. right off a main drag, rue de rivoli, but quiet.

153e i think, for a smallish room with bath, lift, a/c, and now they have wi-fi. our top floor room had a petite balcony with table and chairs overlooking the rooftops.

check out the website at: http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com/

kinda kitschy, but fun! and really nice people . . .
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Here's one that I use often near Place de La Nation:

http://www.grand-hotel-francais.fr/english/accueil.html

The neighborhood is active, but not a tourist area. The metro connections are superb. The staff is always very helpful. The rooms are small, but very well-kept. It's just a great value.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 09:12 AM

I second the recommendation for the Mansart--good-sized rooms and bathrooms. The location is ideal: close to the Place Vend&ocirc;me and the Rue St-Honor&eacute;, near several good but not budget-breaking restaurants (L'Ardoise, Le Souffl&eacute, within walking distance of the Tuileries and the Louvre.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM

We just returned from a visit to Paris and stayed at the Hotel Langlois. There are some good posting about it here and it is very highly rated by Trip Advisor. It cost us 116 euro and for the price was excellent. It has the elevator and rooms with large en-suite bathrooms. We found the staff to be o.k. but not overly helpful. Most others on Fodors did not agree and thought the staff was warm, friendly and helpful.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Because the Metro covers Paris like a snug sweater, you'll never be too far from a metro station no matter where you stay.
Secondly, there are lots of charming, under $200 places - certainly more than in, say, NYC. The Latin Quarter, granted its on the left bank, is loaded with them. On the right bank, there are plenty of them in the Grand Boulevards/Opera area but they might rate a little lower in the &quot;charming&quot; category - they tend to be larger.
I second the vote for the Derby Eiffel, I stayed there in May and it exceeded my expectations quite a bit and was about $110 per night.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 12:15 PM

We have stayed in the hotel mercure Roncerey in the 9th and the hotel Trypp De Saxe in the 7th and felt they were a good value. The Hotel Camp De Mars looks really good from the outside but is always booked way in advance. The Hotel Chopin is a quaint looking little place inside the passage Jeoffrey. There is a really cute little hotel in the 7th we stopped to look at it, the owner was really friendly. It was in the 7th and it had Tulip in the name. The hoel Splendid in the 7th looks nice and is in a great location and the hotel next door to it The best Western Alma Derby looks good too. The Hotes in the 7th are a better value I think than the ones in the 1st. The 9th is good in the southern part.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Right bank - across the road from the church of the Kings, the St. Germain Auxerrois and the Louvre - a 3-star with all the amenities AND nice staff..
Hotel Relais du Louvre is in your budget and you can just about walk anywhere... I did!

Go to dinner in the Latin Quartier...St. Germain de Prez...over to the Eiffel tower... pretty darned central!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:27 AM

p.s. Before you book at the Champ de Mars, be sure to review this thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34534216
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM

there are other suggestions on this current thread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34534548

I like the right bank myself
and will be staying there again this Dec
So far I've reserved at the Etats Unis Opera, mentioned in the above thread
and many good comments at
www.tripadvisor.com
Others are the
Louvre St Romain and the Louvre Montana, both of which I've stayed at in the past
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:49 AM

There is a lovely hotel, which is very &quot;uniquely Paris&quot;. It is in the 7th arrondissement and is walking distance from the Eiffel Tower, Eco Militaire, les Invalides, Les Champs Elysses. There is also a Metro station within a block or two of the hotel.
I was there over the 2003 Christmas/New Year holiday, and just fell in love with this hotel and the surrounding area. The staff and the service were incredible. I would highly recommend The Splendid. Here is a link: http://www.benecom.com/france/paris/splendid/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -