Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to exit the Vatican Tour & enter St. Peter's without going outside?

Is it possible to exit the Vatican Tour & enter St. Peter's without going outside?

Mar 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

On a previous thread someone indicated that after finishing the tour of the Sistine Chapel, if one looked to the back wall of the chapel and to the left side after entering the museum there would be a small door. If one went through the door and followed the steps, it would lead you to St. Peter's. Is this still true?
Mar 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM

I vaguely remember going through a small door (it might have been at the back and the right side of the chapel) and down a large flight of stairs but I can't remember if it lead to St. Peters. I do think that I read about this in a Rick Steve's book, though, so maybe you can find more about it in there.

Now that I think more about it, we may have come into St. Peters from the outside.
Mar 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM

The door to the right takes you back to St. Peter's.
Mar 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

So I should look to the right side after entering the museum?
Mar 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM

2Italy is probably the better person to answer but as I remember it, if you're in the Sistine Chapel, facing the back, the door is on your right-hand side.
Mar 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM

I think they may be a very short walk in the outside to get to St. Peters. ( not 100% sure on this though) Obviously nothing like the walk going the "long way round".

Yes the door is on the right hand side as you are facing the back wall.

schnauzer
Mar 30th, 2008, 02:40 AM
J62

Yes, it is still true. You do actually go outside then enter St. Peters through the front doors, but you don't need to wait in line for security again.

Mar 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the info. I also found a reference in Rick Steves' Rome 2008 book on page 198. We are leaving April 13 and are soooooooo excited!
Mar 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM

When we were there, the right hand door was closed. Something about the guides having to "count heads" on the numerous cruise ship groups who were there at the time. We ended up exiting to the left (quite claustrophobic but there was no other option), and having lunch at the Vatican cafeteria (which is doubtless where the cruise groups were being herded.) We then went back through the Vatican museums and Sistine chapel a second time...this time the right hand door was open, and we exited down some exterior stairs and, as I recall, on to the portico of St. Peter's.