Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to drive from Doolin to Dublin airport in one day, with a stop at Rock of Cashel?

Is it possible to drive from Doolin to Dublin airport in one day, with a stop at Rock of Cashel?

Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Am I nuts for considering this? We have to fly in and out of Dublin. We'll spend the first 2 nights in Dublin, 2 nights in Galway, 1 night in Doolin, and the last night at the Dublin airport. (Not literaly, nearby hotel). I would like to see the Rock of Cashell- would it work to get up early in Doolin, go to Cashell, then drive to the airport and arrive in the evening? How long does it take to get from Doolin to Cashell? Cashell to Dublin airport?
Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:20 PM

According to www.viamichelin.com, it's 144km from Doolin to Cashel with an estimated driving time of 3 hours (some secondary roads). It's 171km from Cashel to the Dublin airport with an estimated driving time of 2 hours (more main roads). However, michelin.com grossly underestimates driving time in Ireland. I'd allow another 30-60 minutes for each leg.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:00 PM

Sure, it's possible. Desirable? No. You'll see very little and have no time to explore Cashel at all.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. My better sense tells me that I will need to go back to Ireland at least one more time- Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Cashel, Killarney, etc. It's really hard to narrow it down the first time!
Jun 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Loyl

It would be possible, but very tiring.
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM

I'll tell you what I drove from Doolin last July to Dublin in one day without stopping at the Rock of Cashel. We stopped in Kildare for lunch and a tour of a local church instead. However, we were in Ireland for about 11 days and saw the Rock of Cashel on our way towards Cork City.

The drive from Doolin to Dublin would have taken us about 4-4 1/2 hours if we did not stop in Kildare. If you get up early enough and hit the road you will be able to hit Cashel by noon. You really in my opinion do not need more than 2 hours in Cashel. I stayed over night in Cashel but really the major attraction is the Rock of Cashel which you can do in 90 minutes easily. The town of Cashel did not really stand out to me as worth a long stay. I would say the drive from Cashel to Dublin will take you about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

What time does your flight leave? I will tell you this why are you planning on staying that one night in Doolin. Dont get me wrong I had a good time in Doolin but it wasnt worth going all the way out of my way to rush on that last day.

This is my recommendation: If you are going to spend two nights in Galway why not drive further East or more inland closer to Cashel rather than stopping in Doolin? If you are planning to see the Cliffs of Moher on the day in which you are staying in Doolin why not drive to the cliffs spend an hour there or so and then drive further East towards Cashel?
Jun 29th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Edmundus

Ireland has very long days in summer -about 6am to 10pm - so if you set off early in the morning there is no problem in leaving Doolin,seeing Cashel and going on to Dublin in one day.