Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to do Salzburg, Munich and Bruges in 10 days?

Sep 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
The 2-3 week trip that I was planning to Austria and Belgium has shrunk to 10 days. I will be flying from San Antonio and meeting my husband who will flying from Cairo. I am not sure yet where we will be meeting. He needs some down time at home before he heads back to the job sites in Mumbai and Cairo and feels that 10 days is the best he can do. This trip will probably be mid June of next year.

We have had to scale down the destinations to the absolute must sees:

Salzburg and area
Munich- just as a base to visit Dachau and Neuschwanstein
Bruges-

Is this doable in 10 days at a fairly leisurly pace? I don't want to try to see too much and risk it all being a blur.

I am thinking that about 4 days in Salzburg so we can do a few day trips- Eagle's Nest, Hallstatt.
2 days, possibly at the beginning of the trip in Munich
Train to Brussels and do Rick Steves 'Brussels in a blitz'. I think it will be about 8 hrs from Munich to Brussels.
Bruges for 3 days
Fly out of Brussels
Any suggestion/recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:13 PM

"Is this doable in 10 days ..." YES, technically it is but...

"...at a fairly leisurly pace? ..." NO, not even close.

Salzburg and Munich (plus environs for both, of course) will make sense.

Faraway Bruges will not make sense. Let alone trying to squeeze Brussels in there.
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM

hi leilei,

what Dalailama said.

you can do this at aleisurely pace but only if you drop Bruges and Brussels.

alternatively head for Bruges, Brussels and amsterdam. you can't have everything.
Sep 24th, 2010, 03:02 AM

I agree with the other posters. Doable, yes...practical, no.
Sep 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM

ditto Bruges and Brussels.
there is more to Munich than Dahau. ( we just got back from 5 days in the city)
Sep 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM

I think it is very doable. It just depends on what you want to see. WE stayed in Bruges for 2 nights...more than enough! We did the bike tour...really fun. We stayed in Munich 3 nights and did just a day trip to Salzburg. For the day trip...we got up early and drove to Salzburg, walked around the town, then took the funicular up to the fortress, and did the audio walking tour. Ate lunch and perused a outdoor market along the Salz river. Then in the afternoon took a semi-private "sound of music tour" from 2-7pm. It was a jammed packed day but we really loved it.
Thus,
in my humble opinion 3 nights at each destination would be ample... Maybe delete one day from Bruges and add it to Munich.
I should mention we are "highlight" travelers and do not delve deeply into each destination...we just enjoy the feel of the area.

Our trip was 13 days...
London (1 full day and 1 night) (we had been before)
Eurostar to Paris (7am)
Paris (2 nights)
Train to Bruges
Bruges (2 nights)
Train to Koln, Germany
Koln (1 night)
Rent car and drive the Rhine River Valley
St. Goar (1 night)
Wurzburg (1 night)
Rotherburg ob der tauber (1 night)
Munich (2 nights) *day trip to Salzburg
Fly from Munich to London
London(1 late night-airport hotel)
Fly from London to San Diego.

If I was to do this trip again...I would have flown into Brussels and home from Munich. (But we had to be flexible because we flew on FF miles from United)

So, obviously to me 10 days in 3 cities is a piece of cake.

Best of luck
Tina
Sep 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM

You have several flights from Munich to Brussels each day. But one-ways are extremely costly since there is a Lufthansa/Brussels Airlines monopoly on that route.
If you were in Vienna, you could at least get a cheap Ryanair flight to Brussels-Charleroi from Bratislava.
But from Salzburg or Munich you probably have to bite the bullet and take an 8hr train ride with several transfers. That part does not look too thrilling to me, plus you waste one full day on a not too spectacular train ride.
Sep 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM
ira

Hi L,

Why limit yourself to merely one "Brussels Blitz"?

If you plan it right, you can visit 11 cities in ten days.

Or you can limit your visit to the Munich/Salzburg area.

Get the Salzburg card.

Also, I can highly recommend
http://www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home%29
in Salzburg.

Enjoy your visit.

Sep 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM

am thinking that about 4 days in Salzburg so we can do a few day trips- Eagle's Nest, Hallstatt.
2 days, possibly at the beginning of the trip in Munich
Train to Brussels and do Rick Steves 'Brussels in a blitz'. I think it will be about 8 hrs from Munich to Brussels.
Bruges for 3 days
Fly out of Brussels
>

Yes definitely go for it - what is leisurely is a subjective question and folks will advise you as to what they are comfortable doing - to me your pace would be too leisurely - again it's subjective.

To save time and possible money you can take an overnight train Munich to Cologne and then go on to Brussels in the morning - do the Rick Steves thingy and end up in Bruges in later afternoon.
Sep 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Biz

I recently returned from a trip similar to what Tinabina described - covering Munich, Salzberg, Bruges and points in between. I had more time but I think it is definitely doable if you are going to fly back from Brussels and don't mind a long train ride one day. I enjoyed Bruges but thought it was somewhat over-rated and was too crowded with tourists. However, in October I doubt you will have that problem. Check out my trip report for more details:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-a-toddler.cfm