Search

Trip to Umbria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Umbria

I am spending 4 days in Umbria. I am renting a car from the Port in civitavecchia and going towards Spello.
The hotel I am staying is in Spello and from there I am planning to visit Orvietto , Todi, Spotello, Perugia, Gubbia and Sienna.
What will be the best itinerary, where should I start.
Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Get a good map, and group two towns per day.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
No interest in going to Assisi?
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM

Sorry -- I am muti-tasking and had to check something on the stove.

Click on my name and you will see I did an Umbria travel report. We visited Spello, Perugia, Gubbio, and Orvieto from our base near Spoleto. Also Norcia, Todi, Trevi, Montefalco, a couple others, and Cortona (actually in Tuscany) but we had 2 weeks. Driving is easy and GORGEOUS. It really does help to group towns that are close to each other. Siena may be a bit far afield. You can hardly go wrong.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responds. I already order a Michelin map from Umbria, plus the car I am renting has GPS .I will group 2 towns as suggested.
I am also thinking that on the way to Spello I could visit Orvietto ?
Or should I visit Spello and Assisi the first day.
Orvietto Todi and Spotello the second day, would that be to much.?
Peruggia and Gubbio the third day.
And leave the fourth for Sienna.
What do you think?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Koper,Slovenia for a day.
My cruse will stop for 10 hours in Koper should I visit any other town close by.
Any suggestions?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Ravenna Italy also for 10 hours, has any body any recomendations of what to see?
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't want to sound trivial, but you need to use the correct spelling of these town names if you expect GPS to be helpful.

Depending on how early you start from Civitavecchia, I think you could make a short-ish stop in Orvieto on the way. If it were me, I'd want to be driving to Spello well before sunset.

Orvieto, Todi and Spoleto on a single day would IMO be the wrong balance of driving and sightseeing, but Todi and Spoleto on one day is OK if you can resist the temptation to make other stops. I would drive Spello-Todi via Bastardo and Collazzone and Todi-Spoleto via Acquasparta.

Perugia is a difficult town to drive into, so search the parking options carefully and know your driving route (whatever GPS says) or you could waste a lot of time looking for ingress/egress. This website is only in Italian but lists the parking options in Perugia.

http://www.sipaonline.it/canale.asp?id=11

Or you can take the train from Spello to Perugia (about 30 minutes each way).

Spello-Gubbio is about one hour each way. Look for the signs directing you to the Roman theater at the bottom of the town. There is a parking lot adjacent, and then it's a short walk into the town.

If you only care to see the Basilica in Assisi, you could probably visit Assisi and Gubbio in the same day.

Spello-Siena is about 2 hours each way not counting the time needed to find parking and get to the historical center of the town. Siena is not a small town, so expect lots of traffic. Personally, I think Siena is too far for a day trip from Spello.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your recommendations.
In regards to the spelling I will definitely be more careful, and I also agree that 2 hours to Siena for a day trip would be to much.
I better take more time to visit the other places with some time to relax, specially that this portion of the trip is after a 12 day cruse.
What do you think of this new route.
We are picking the car at 10 am , the trip from the civitavecchia to Orvieto is 72.8 km.
Do you think that if visit Orvieto from 12 -3 will be enough. My expectations when I visit each town is to get a feeling of the place,walk around through the beautiful streets enjoy the view maybe sit and enjoy a glass of wine. I understand that a city like Perugia will require more time but do you think that 3 hours for Orvieto will be enough for what I am trying to experience.
Then from Orvieto to Spello is 55 km , so by 4 :15 we should be in Spello. The reason that you would go to Spello before the sunset is for the sunset?
The second day I could do Todi and Spoleto.
Then the third day would you do Assisi and Gubbio?
and the fourth day Perugia.
Since it seems that you know that area well do you recommend any little town that I could add or do you think that is plenty.
Looking forward for your reply.
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Jean I was looking at the site for the Parkings if I am coming from Spello which of the parking would you think is more convenient. I rather park the farderst to avoid the traffic and the little streets.
Thanks
Aida
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM

assissi takes quite a bit of time as it is quite large
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

What about Gubbio.Could I visit both the same day?
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM

Are you "picking up the car at 10 a.m." or "driving away from Civitavecchia at 10 a.m."? The rental process/paperwork can sometimes take more time than you expect. If lots of people coming off cruises want to rent cars, you could encounter a line.

Most people here refer to drives between towns in terms of time rather than distance. The drive from Civitavecchia to Orvieto will take more than 90 minutes, and Orvieto to Spello will also take more than 90 minutes. I don't know where you found the driving distances, but Civitavecchia-Orvieto and Orvieto-Spello are both about 100 km.

Assuming you'd want to eat lunch while you're in Orvieto, you'd be limited in what you could see of the town in the remaining time. You need to consider that everywhere you go, you'll be parking away from what you've come to see and use up time getting to/from the sites from your parked car.

I would take the train from Spello to Perugia. I've driven and parked there but find Perugia much easier to reach by train.

If you are the driver, do not drink more than a small glass of wine before getting behind the wheel. The blood-alcohol limit in Italy is much lower than many countries, and penalties are severe.

I like to drive in daylight to places I've never been to before. Fumbling around in the dark, with or without GPS (which may or may not be completely accurate), trying to find/read signs, etc., is frustrating. Which raises the point that you should always have a paper road map and not rely only on GPS.

You could spend an entire day in Assisi if you want to explore the entire town. But if you're only really interested in seeing the Basilica and would be happy with a fairly superficial visit to Gubbio, you could do both towns in the same day.

You're attempting a lot in the time you have which BTW is not four full days. The first and fourth days are impacted by picking up and dropping off the car within the hours that the rental offices are open. Nearly all rental offices are closed for a few hours in the middle of the day, closed Saturday afternoons and closed all day on Sundays.

You'll need an International Driver's Permit in addition to your locally-issued driver's license.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

In regards to the car we will picking it up at 10 , is already paid so I hope it will take only an hour to be out of the office.
In regards to the distance from one place to the other , I got the information from the internet , but I am glad that now I have a more accurate time, thanks
We are two drivers but still we would not drink and drive, but again it is good to know.
I will take the Train to Perugia if its easier , why bother with the parking.
We will be leaving to Rome on the morning of the fifth , the fourth day is actually a full day.
We are returning the car in Rome were we will spend a few days.
and we already got the Int.Driver permit.
Thank you again for all your recommendations.
If you think of any thing that might help us , please let me know.
I will be leaving in a few days , so I will check the forum before that , just in case you add something else.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't enjoy returning the car IN Rome. If this were my trip, I'd spend the 5th morning exploring Bevagna (or Trevi), have lunch, then return the car at the Foligno train station and take the train to Rome. Spello-Bevagna is 20 minutes, and Bevagna-Foligno 20 minutes. (If Trevi, drive times are about the same.) The train ride is 1.5-2 hours (depending on the train you take).

If you drive to Rome, consider a very minor detour east of Terni to see the Cascata delle Marmore (Marmore Falls). Try to time your stop during the water release hours.

http://www.bellaumbria.net/en/nature...marmore-falls/

And/or stop at Tivoli to see the gardens and Villa d'Este or stop at the ruins of Villa Adriana.

When you pick up the car, examine it carefully for pre-existing scratches, dents, missing or broken things, etc. All of this should be noted on the rental agreement so that you're not hit with damage claims when/after you turn in the car. Some people take photos as proof.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM

We had two weeks, and never got around to visiting Assisi. Drove past on the highway to other places a couple of times, but were kind of put off by the traffic. Frankly, I can only handle so much religious art and fervor. I totally understand that others who are more involved with the Catholic faith would feel different. I have friends for whom it was a high point. So make your own decision accordingly. Umbria is such a wonderful part of Italy, with so much to see and appreciate, you may decide that you will be planning another trip to catch what you miss this time. If you are charmed by one town, don't feel you need to hurry away to see another. No one is keeping score of how many places you visit! Savor your vacation.