Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to reserve hotels in Paris when you arrive in Europe, for example London?

Is it OK to reserve hotels in Paris when you arrive in Europe, for example London?

Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

I am planning a 2 week trip to London and Paris in May. Plan to stay in London for 2-3 days and leave by train to Paris. Is it OK to reserve hotels in Paris while you are still in London? I know most people in US tend to reserve hotels before flying to destinations in Europe.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
ira

Hi J,

Sure, it's OK.

You are not likely to find rooms in the hotels you want, though.

Are you planning on reserving hotels in London before you leave?

Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,

Yes, just one hotel in London before leaving US. I am a little scared of committing all hotel reservations from US - a lot of them are very expensive and restrictive (penalty, cancellation, etc). What if the hotel you reserved is not what you like?
Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM

Do some research so you can be fairly sure you will like the one you reserve. As Ira says, in May, a very busy time, the best choices are booked way ahead.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM

>>>I am a little scared of committing all hotel reservations from US - a lot of them are very expensive and restrictive (penalty, cancellation, etc). What if the hotel you reserved is not what you like?<<<

You're stuck with the same committment whether you reserve months ahead from the US, or 3 days ahead from the UK.

If you do your research and reserve well ahead of time, you're more likely to find a hotel you like and that suits your needs.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
ira

Hi jw,

As I see it, you have one London hotel and one Paris hotel.

We once booked a hotel 6 mos in advance and were put into a 5th floor attic room.

I plopped my wife down on the bed and when out to look for another hotel.

When we came downstairs and told them that the room was unacceptable, they had my deposit ready for me.

>What if the hotel you reserved is not what you like?

Then you are in the same position you would be if you hadn't booked a hotel in advance.

What's your budget?

Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM

I really do understand the idea of not booking ahead for someone who really doesn't care where they sleep -- and numerous people clearly don't. They often say, we don't care about the room, just so it's clean and we have a bed to sleep in.

But since you indicate that you are concerned with what you might end up with, that's all the more reason to do your research ahead you so avoid getting stuck in a place you won't like. Clearly if you wait until the last minute the hotels that most people like, are going to already be taken by them.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM

"What if the hotel you reserved is not what you like?"

You are MUCH more likely to end up in a hotel you don't like if you wait until the last minute. If you are driving around the countryside - sure you can find B&Bs at the last minute. But in a major city like Paris you'll want to know where you'll be, and how much you'll pay long before your get there. Otherwise you may end up in a dump for a LOT . . . . .
Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM

It's perfectly ok to do that if you don't care that much about where you stay -- or if you want to spend a lot of money, as I imagine there might be no problem getting a room in some of the most expensive hotels. It's the well-regarded and popular moderate hotels that are often full (and some good 4* ones, also, sure).

I also am very puzzled about the idea that you aren't going to reserve in the US, but plan to while in London 2-3 days ahead. What possible purpose does that serve? If you want to change your plans in London at last minute so you don't know when you will go to Paris, sure that makes sense -- just be armed with a long list of hotels if you are at all picky.

Then you say it's because you are afraid of commitment due to cancellation penalties, so if that is again because you might change your plans, sure. I have never stayed at a hotel in Paris that had expensive cancellation penalties. I think the ones I stay at require about a 24-48 hour notice, that's all, and I never pay in advance. There's nothing unusual about a day's notice. But if you think you are going to cancel by looking at a hotel and deciding you don't like it (which is totally different than reserving in London--what do you really plan to do) -- that's another story and there is no solution to that.

You must simply do your homework and hope for the best. It can't be horrible if you do some research. If you decide the room isn't quite right, etc., you can complain, but you can't be overly picky and expect perfection in a big city. I don't see how your not reserving is any solution unless you truly plan to wander around Paris toting your luggage behind you going from hotel to hotel to look them over.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM

Well, before you make this decision I would pick out some of the hotels you're interested in - and check how full they are at the moment. It's quite likely there is a meeting or something in Paris at the time - and the good rooms at decent prices go far in advance. By waiting you're tremendously increasing the chance you will have the choice between either a poor hotel - or have to pay much more for something decent.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
mjs

I agree that it is ok to reserve your Paris hotel in London upon your arrival in the UK. I do not however understand why you would do so unless you feel that you might find a better hotel at a better price last minute. I see you are planning to be in London for only a few days and Paris for 11 or 12 days. This suggests that you have already been to London. Perhaps you want some flexibility? I have rarely found expensive and restrictive penalties for canceling a hotel room. Most cancellations just require 24 to 48 hours although I have seen some small hotels which require much more time. Canceling apartments and Bed and breakfasts is another matter. I also do not understand why the age of the reservation has anything to do with whether you find the hotel to your liking. You also have a short time in London and you want to spend some of that time trying to figure out your Paris hotel plans? If money is not an issue or if you do not care where you sleep you can certainly wing it but if the quality and or value of your lodging is important to you I would research your lodging options and make them before you begin your trip.
Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:12 AM

I see no advantage to making the Paris hotel reservation from London.

Either do it before your trip (with proper research) from home... or wait until you are in Paris, if you are willing to put time into walking around and looking at various hotels in-person to find a place to stay.

You summed it up in you post... people tend to reserve hotels before flying to destinations in Europe because it's a smart thing to do.