Is it ok if I do not speak Italian?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:29 PM
greta

Is it ok if I do not speak Italian?

I will be going to Italy in a few weeks and I do not speak any Italian. Will I be in trouble? How will I order in resturants? I am going to Rome, Venice and Verona.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Eye Spy

You should not have much of a problem, especially in Rome and Venice. There are so many tourists, that many people know at least some rudimentary English and since Italians are generally a friendly lot, you'll have much less of a problem than if you were, for example, in France (where a lot of disrespectful Americans believe everyone should speak English). Try to get out there and improvise; follow Italians into little restaurants. Watch what they are ordering. If you show a sincere interest, what Italian could despise you for that? A good opening if you are unsure is "Scusi, Signore / Signora. Parla inglese?" (Excuse me, Sir / Madam. Do you speak English?). I doubt you'll have much problem in Verona either. One hint: if you need to use the lavatory, make sure you pay attention to the signs: Signori (men) and Signore (feminine plural). Or the door might: Uomini (Men) or Donne (Women) but Signori / Signore is more prevalent. Also, do not be fooled by what I wrote about concerning: "Scusi Signore." Signore (Seen-your-ay) is used to address a man when you don't know his last name. Ex. "Signore" or Signor Berlusconi (drop the 'e') when you know the last name. Signore is also the feminine plural of Signora (lady).

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Maria

#1 - Get a small phrase book with a restaurant section. Then you will at least be able to get the general idea (meat, poultry, fish, seafood, etc.) and simply point and show the waiter. The written menu wil be arranged similar to what you are used to i.e., 1st course, 2nd, etc. And in many places with heavy tourist business will be written in English also.

#2 - If someone next to you has something that looks good, smile, and nod, and if they appear willing, show them the menu and shrug your shoulders in question, they might identify their dish on the menu for you.

#3 - Some restaurants have a fixed price 'menu' which includes several set courses. It will normally be written on a chalk/blackboard in a less formal cafe. Just point to that and take your chances.

None of these are particularly graceful, but I guarantee they will get you dinner ;-)

Much more important DO learn to say: a glass/carafe of white/red wine, please.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Rex

You won't be in trouble, but you will be limited. It isn't entirely too late to do something about it. And whatever you learn in the next few weeks, you can triple that amount each day, if you go with a sense of WANTing to learn, and curiosity about how I can relate this word I just learn to something I know.

It is not hard to grasp that "Senso unico" means "one way", but you have to take 60 seconds to think through:

Senso - like "direction"
Unico - like "unitary" or "unique"

and not just shrug it off, and not even concern yourself with "what might that sign mean?"

I agree that many people in the hospitality industry know far more English than you could learn Italian even if you have months, It's not about how and whether you will "get along". It's about how much you will get out of your encounter with Italian language and culture.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 03:17 PM
CathyM

It's not too late to buy a cd-rom and learn a bit of italian. I tried taking spanish classes for a year but always ended up having conflicts with work. Then I bought a berlitz cd-rom and during my 45 minute commute to work and back each day I learned spanish! It was amazing how easy it was to pick up basic phrases by repetition and sticking with it every day. It really enriched my trip by just knowing enough to make myself comfortable and the people are often so happy that you at least try.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:04 PM
tip top

topping

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 11:18 PM
loveitalia

Most, if not all, the menus in Rome and Venice have English printed below or next to the item. If all else fails, there is always a "turisti menu" on a chalkboard or posted inside the restaurant and you could always point to that. It is nice to say "per favore" and "grazie" -- even those little touches would be appreciated.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:52 AM
Myer

We were in Rome in May and had a surprisingly good time.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) every time we go back to Europe more and more English is spoken. As somebody said, why go to Europe when you can see it all in Vegas.

We walked the whole city each day and had a great time. There were many areas where they spoke very little English. That's what hands and fingers are for.

However we did notice that faces light up when you use a few words in Italian.

Hello, Good bye, Thank You and Your Welcome do fine.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
carolync

You can get by without knowing any, but it sure helps if you do, especially the words Myer suggest above. I think it is very polite to learn the basic greetings when traveling to another country.

In the more touristy areas you'll be better off. Our first day we got lost trying to find our hotel in Parma, if I hadn't know some basic phrases, I think we would still be looking!

Take a small dictionary to help with menus. You can get far pointing at what you want on the menu, or on the shelf of smaller stores, cafes, etc.

My advice would be to learn greetings, numbers and directions (left, right, straight), and simple phrases like "where is..." "How much", "the check, please". Maybe someone here can help you with the words, I've only learned to speak Italian, my spelling is awful!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Bill

On another recent thread, it was pointed out that Fodors has some fairly friendly web pages to help you with learning some introductory words in phrases. Available in French, German, Spanish AND Italian. Includes pronunciations that you can listen to.

See http://www.fodors.com/language or click on "Resources" and follow from there.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Alexis

I was in Italy last year (Rome, Florence, Venice) and I found English to be widely spoken. I highly recommend that you learn a few key phrases that were suggested above to which list I will add a few more.
please/per favore
thank you/grazie
Whenever you enter a shop, restaurant, etc. you will always be greeted with "buongiourno" (sp?). It's only polite to respond in kind. At around 4 or 5 PM changes to "buonasera".
LEARN your numbers WELL. I found this to be extremely useful.
As for ordering in restaurants, all you really need is a food dictionary and some practice on how to pronounce things correctly.
I recommend that you carry a phrasebook and DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:05 PM
up

up

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Jinx Hoover

Italy is great!! You really don't have to know the language. People are very friendly and helpful. They are not uptight about you being a tourist or an American or some other "oddity".
So relax and enjoy life. And if you pick up a few words and phrases, so much the better. Just smile, wave your arms, gesture, and have the time of your life!!

Regards,

Jinx Hoover