Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is it more scenic to drive to Provence from Madrid or Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-it-more-scenic-to-drive-to-provence-from-madrid-or-paris-904618/)

jbh555 Aug 31st, 2011 02:45 PM

Is it more scenic to drive to Provence from Madrid or Paris?

My husband and I can fly into either Paris or Madrid,then drive to southern France. We have a couple of days to get there. Does anyone have thoughts on which might be more interesting?

StuDudley Aug 31st, 2011 03:54 PM

How long will you be in Paris or Madrid to recover from jet lag (if you are flying more than 8 hrs to get there), before you head out on this long & tough drive??

Is in 1 night & 1 1/2 days, or 2 nights & 2 1/2 - 3 days??

Stu Dudley

travelhorizons Aug 31st, 2011 03:59 PM

It's an easy drive from CDG to Provence, and quite a long drive from MAD ...

jbh555 Aug 31st, 2011 05:01 PM

Thanks for your comments... We will have at least one night for jet log catch up, then using some of your help, stu dudley's blog help in provence. Our flight plans seem to favor Madrid, but maybe we can change them to Paris if the drive from Madrid is too long or uninteresting...

StCirq Aug 31st, 2011 05:03 PM

Well, it will cost you an arm and a leg to drive from Madrid to Provence if you're planning to leave the car in France. And neither drive is particularly inspiring. I'd fly into Paris and take the TGV. Cheap PREM fares, no tolls, no aggravated autoroute boring drives, just a nice 3-hour train trip.

I wouldn't call it an "easy drive" from CDG to Provence at all. Long, expensive, and boring.

StuDudley Aug 31st, 2011 08:59 PM

>>I wouldn't call it an "easy drive" from CDG to Provence at all. Long, expensive, and boring.<<

Agree.

We've driven every segment of that drive many times - but never all at once or even over 1 night/1 1/2 days. You are driving almost straight south - so the sun will be in your face for most of trip. Few chances to get off the autoroute. There is perhaps an hours worth of somewhat scenic drive in the Burgundy region, but once you get to Lyon, navigate through the Lyon commute traffic, you'll encounter some pretty ugly commerce around Valence with the Nuclear power plants. It becomes somewhat scenic when you get past Montelimar.

If this was my trip, I would stay in Paris one day longer or get to Provence one day sooner & take the 3 hrs TGV from Paris to Provence.

Stu Dudley

hanabi Aug 31st, 2011 10:26 PM

I'd go for Madrid - there's much to see along the way and then you have to pass Pyrenees which is a wonderful experience indeed. The journey takes longer, though.

SloJan2 Aug 31st, 2011 11:37 PM

I agree with hanabi. The Spanish roads are excellent and less expensive, the Pyrenees are fabulous and it is a beautiful drive. Plus, fewer tolls...which is always a good thing.

jbh555 Sep 1st, 2011 07:09 AM

Thanks everybody. We will stay an extra day in Paris and then take a train!