Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it more expensive to fly to Europe on certain days of the week, and return by another airport?

Is it more expensive to fly to Europe on certain days of the week, and return by another airport?

Jul 28th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

In early October we would like to fly to Florence and return via Venice (or Venice first then Florence). At this late date airfares seem very high at $1,000 or above per person. Is it normally more expensive to fly internationally on a Saturday or Sunday or Monday, etc., and also is it more expensive to fly into one airport and return by another even on the same ailine?
Jul 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
MaureenB

I don't think open-jaw tickets are any more expensive anymore (i.e. flying into one city and out of another). Most everyone travels that way to and from Europe, to avoid backtracking to the same city. My advice is to price flights every which way, on a variety of sites. It wouldn't be surprising if most people are traveling on weekends, and thus rates are higher. But roundtrip for $1000+ doesn't sound too high, really.

Good luck planning your trip. Not much time to do it, if you mean this coming October.
>-

Jul 28th, 2007, 08:31 AM
ira

Hi TT,

Flights on Tues,Wed,Thurs are often about $25 pp less than F, Sat and Sun.

Open Jaw can sometimes be cheaper than RT.

From whence are you departing?

Jul 28th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Flying "open jaw" (into one city and out of the other) should be similarly prices to a regular round-trip ticket.
Jul 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Open jaws is not your problem. All that is is 1/2 the RT fare to each city.

Your problem is partly days of the week (lower fares are limited to a certain number of seats and are sold out sooner on popular travel days) and early October is no longer considered low season.

Have you checked kayak.com?
Jul 28th, 2007, 11:12 AM

I have sometimes had good luck with fare reductions in the $100-range by moving a travel day from a weekend to a Monday.

Jul 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Try looking at ITA
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/
You can sign on as a guest and make sure you choose the Month option at the top and it will show you prices for every day of the month and you can see how the fare changes for your destination.
Jul 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Here's another website:

www.farecompare.com

You can check for the lowest fares each day over a calendar month. I recently did a search for R/T fares to Rome in October and found the two days with the lowest available fares of the month were a Tuesday and a Wednesday. Obviously, it won't necessarily be the same situation from your departing city to/from the cities you mention, but this site does show day-by-day for an entire month at a time.
Jul 28th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Would you set that up for us? I don't see where that option is specified.
Jul 28th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Robespierre, I'm not sure who you are addressing, but I just tried farecompare.com and couldn't find how I got to those calendar pages just this past Wednesday. Alzheimers, I guess.

I was checking several sites that day but only for R/T fares if that makes a difference:

www.farecast.com
www.sidestep.com
www.smarttravel.com
www.yapta.com

Perhaps it is embedded somewhere in one of those. Or maybe it really is farecompare.com, and I'm just not thinking straight. I'll try later when I have more time. Or try GBbabe's matrix website.