Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it feasable to rent a car from Paris and drive to Brussels? (one way)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May give a better view of the countryside. What are the major car hire companies in this region? <BR>Can you drive a car one way and drop off?<BR>
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Sure you can rent one way, but there's usually a stiff penalty for picking up in one country and dropping off in another. You can check the websites and see how much.<BR><BR>Some of the big rental car companies are the same as the US some aren't:<BR><BR>www.avis.com<BR>www.hertz.com<BR>ww w.europcar.com<BR>www.sixt.com<BR><BR>Some of the other rental companies that you can use sometimes have better rates but have a 3 day rental minimum:<BR><BR>www.kemwel.com<BR>www.autoeurope.c om<BR><BR>All you can do is shop around.<BR>
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:28 PM
rex

One day, one way? Unless you packed six people into a car, and got a phenomenally good rate, you'd be much better off to take the train at less than two hours.<BR><BR>and I almost ALWAYS talk up the advantage of car over train. Not in this situation.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:26 PM

Yes, you can. <BR>But the drive is at least twice as long as taking the train (the Thalys) and it's not really very scenic. Having done both, I'd say I saw better scenery from the Thalys. Also, driving in Brussels itself is not one of life's greater pleasures, especially trying to get to the Gare du Midi, where you'd probably be dropping off your car (or at the airport, but then you'd have to take a cab or train back to town).
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:22 PM

Yes, it's possible. But I really think it's better to take the Thalys train and you'll arrive in Brussels in a little over an hour. We got a look at the scenery while on the train and it's pretty monotonous, nothing special. Don't waste time here-take the train. Thalys is a very nice, comfortable train.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 11:28 PM

Agree with the two last posters. Not really a scenic drive from Paris to Brussels. Take the Thalys, it will save you much time and you'll be totally relaxed when arriving in Brussels.