Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it easy to walk from Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:51 AM
mary

Is this do-able, worthwhile, as I dont have that much time in Paris (only an afternoon) or should I take a cab. Id like to take as much in of Paris as I can and would like a walk along the Seine. Also is it a direct walk?

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Sophie

Mary,<BR><BR>Personally, after having visited Notre-Dame, I'd walk over to Rue de Rivoli and catch the bus Nr. 69 which takes you straight away to the Champs-de-Mars and the Eiffel Tower.<BR>If you don't have a ticket, you can pay inside the bus.<BR>If you have only an afternoon, I would probably not want to walk. And then along the Seine, you have much traffic.<BR>Whether it's direct, not sure what you mean here. If you mean along the Seine, yes, it's pretty much direct.<BR>But again, next to the cab, the bus is the funniest and easiest way to go there and you'll get to see something while getting there.<BR>If however you decide to walk, I would assume you need 45 minutes. A lot of traffic lights, where you easily need to wait some minutes, until you're allowed to cross.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:30 AM
xxx

I'm just curious, Sophie. In what way is riding the bus the &quot;funniest way&quot; to get there. I've ridden the busses and never really found them a laughing matter. Could you explain what you mean?

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Sophie

<BR>OK, English isn't my first language, so 'funny' may not be the word. Ok?<BR>I think it's easy, cheap and you can see something contrarily to the metro, etc. The risk of being pickpocketed is also very small.<BR><BR>Maybe 'pleasant' is more appropriate.<BR>Happy now?

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've walked this distance before -- it's definitely doable in a couple of hours.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:10 AM

Sophie, did you mean to say that the bus is &quot;tres jolie&quot;?<BR><BR>The walk is doable, but it will take a while. It is a very nice walk, though, as you'll walk by several landmarks.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Sure, it'll take a little time, but if your goal is &quot;to take in as much of Paris as I can,&quot; what better way to accomplish that than to walk that route!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:29 AM

It's a straight shot right down the Seine, and a very nice walk (no way it will take two hours! More like 45 minutes if you walk at all briskly). The Mus&eacute;e d'Orsay, among other things, is right along the way.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:34 AM

It'll be a lovely walk if the weather is good and if you take your time. Stop along the way to smell the roses.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:21 AM

The fastest way to reach Tour Eiffel from Notre Dame is boarding the metro. Go to Cit&eacute; station, approx. 200 m away from Notre Dame, on Rue de la Cit&eacute;. Board line #4 (Porte de Clignancourt - Porte d'Orl&eacute;ans) in the direction of Porte d'Orl&eacute;ans. Get out at Montparnasse-Bienvenue station, there you switch to line # 6 (Nation - Charles de Gaulle-&Eacute;toile), in the direction of Charles de Gaulle-&Eacute;toile. Leave at Bir-Hakeim station, you will be within 100 m of Tour Eiffel. You may instead proceed in line #6 and leave at Trocad&eacute;ro station. A little bit away from Tour Eiffel, Place du Trocad&eacute;ro is over a hill, the view of the Seine River and Tour Eiffel is magnificent. A short walk (10 minutes) and you will be there. Bon voyage !
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I prefer walking because I have seen things I otherwise would not encounter.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:15 AM

I've walked it many times and would prefer that. I understand that it might take a little longer, but you see so much more. And depending on how long you wait for the bus, and how slow traffic is, I'm not so sure that the bus might not even take longer -- or at least it might seem longer.<BR><BR>I usually walk St. Germain, Rue de Four, Rue de Babylone, then Duquesne past the Ecole Militaire to approach the tower from the far end of the Champ de Mars. A wonderful walk!!! I've also done the walk all the way following the Seine, but it is very heavy with traffic and I enjoy the other way so much more.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Why stop along the way and smell the roses when you can stop along the way and smell &quot;Les Egouts?&quot; That's the Paris sewers which offers a tour near the Pont Alma.