Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it common for people to be robbed or mugged near ATMs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May sound like a stupid question. But I'm 17 and I will be going to Italy in July on a school trip. I had planned on taking my debit card because i dont want to have alot of cash on me. I am terrified of getting mugged at an ATM. So should I just bring cash?
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM
J62

No, it is not common. ATM is the safest way to get euros when in Italy.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Carrying a large amount of cash is the riskiest thing you can do and using an ATM card is probably the safest.

But - you should use normal common sense:

Don;t go to an ATM late at night
Don;t go to one in a deserted area
Preferably go to one attached to a bank
Do NOT keep anything in a backpack (which is the easiest way to have something stolen)
Keep your cards and cash in a secure place - and NEVER let go of whatever purse or bag you have them in (not in a restaurant, shop and definitely not in a bar or club)

Your best bet is to pay for larger amounts with a credit card and pull cash for walking around money from ATMs with your debit card. (I woudln't go without a credit card. If you don; t have one, ask your parents to get a card attached to one of theirs - to be used for specified purposes only. Everyone old enough to travel should have a CC.)
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not common, but if you're worried look for ATMs inside, or at least just outside, banks. If you are flying in there will be ATMs in the airport to get you started. Mugging is uncommon in Europe, but pickpocketing is quite common. Wear a money belt - under your clothes and don't access it in public. Keep one day's supply of cash where you can access it more easily.

Do a search here and you will find many threads on using ATMs and some on wearing money belts. You must tell your bank (and your credit card company if you have a credit card) when and where you will be traveling.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Have a great trip CeceBee. Be alert of your surroundings, not terrified, do not take unnecessary risks and remember, no question is ever stupid.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 08:25 PM

You are going on a school trip. You will be pretty safe. Try to stay in a little group with two or three other students. That is always best anyway. Your teacher or group leader should be able to advise you on the best places to do things, what not to do, etc. Has your school leader had any meetings to give you information about things like this? Ask them about it. The other posters have given you good advice. Use an ATM card. Don't carry lots of cash. Don't put important stuff in a backpack, etc. Just be watchful, and you will have a wonderful time. Italy is a most beautiful country.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM

You may find that the limit you can withdraw from an ATM is about $300. You shouldn't be carrying more than that in cash.

As others have said, just use your normal common sense. You are probably just as likely to be mugged using an atm in your home town.

Has your school also suggested photocopying your passport and credit/debit card before you leave home. Scan the photocopies to a hotmail address so that in the worst case, you can easily access the details.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 03:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another three things to do

1) Don't let anyone look over your shoulder as you type in your pin
2) Cover the pin typing hand with your other hand (people can put a tiny camera above the ATM to pick it up
3) If the atm looks odd (hard to do as you will be a visitor) don't use it. People sometimes put a false ATM sleeve in the ATM itself to scan your card.

These are all things people used to cards do.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM

Just to be clear although there are some areas in europe with higher levels of pickpockets (usually places tourists gather in huge numbers - like the main train station) violent crime is MUCH more common in the US than in europe. Your chance of being mugged is essentially nil unless you walk down a dark alley in a bad neighborhood alone at 3 am.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Very risky to travel with debit card or wads of cash u flash.

Ricksteves.com best info

Capitalone.com CREDIT card no risk to you

no fee ATMs big banks for me

Debit cards good thief can get your PIN and clean you out B4 you know it

So only do credit card in europe and worlwide due to SKIMMING
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM

That's nonsense about debit cards being very risky. Just nonsense. I'd wager that 95 percent of the people on this travel board rely on debit cards to get them cash (and of course use cc's for larger purchases).

No, it is not common, not at ALL, for people in Italy to be mugged or robbed at ATMs. You are FAR likelier to have that happen anywhere in the USA.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM

There is nothing different about using a debit card in ATMs in Europe than in Canada, or the USA. Use the same common sense you use at home and you will be fine.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:56 AM

Just back from two weeks in Italy. We ( my husband, my 15 yeqr old son qnd myslef) used ATMs daily as the transactions on the credit card was 3%. We had no problems th anyone overshadowing us or being to near. In fact there wasn't even any close encounters with pickpockets despite being in the most crowded touristy areas. The biggest problem was that with the euro being $1.50 you could only take out 150 euros at time due to the ATM increments and the transaction cost.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Klgallo:

1. You need a different credit card - try a Credit Union or Capital One

2. You can negotiate a higher withdrawal limit with your bank, but you should also check its fees
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I'm definitely more confident and reassured for my trip i really appreciate all the help!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:14 AM

In case you some back again to this thread, one piece of advice is to put your money in your wallet and the wallet in your purse before you step away from the ATM. If you turn and walk away with your wallet and money, there is an off chance someone will grab it and run. (Not common, but I saw it in Amsterdam, and have tried to be careful as a result.) But don't get terrified. Just sensible.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Yes, definitely put your money away before leaving the ATM - this is good practice no matter where you are.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:40 AM

If you can arrange it, take two credit cards and two bank cards, either duplicates or different financial institutions. Then be sure to keep the cards in separate places; for instance, in a pouch under your shirt as well as in your wallet.
And yes, never in a backpack. If using a shoulder bag, the strap goes across your chest, and cinched short enough that the bag is snug under your arm. This applies to males and females equally (North America and Europe too.)
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM

I would not take a debit card anywhere. Use an ATM card. Open an account at a credit union and you will have no bank fees back home. Many banks charge 3%, $5, or whatever for every foreign ATM transaction. For big expenses get a credit card from Capital One, also to avoid foreign transaction fees. Use cash for everyday expenses. The more exposure your credit card gets the greater the risk of fraud.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

by the way how much will the atm fees be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -