Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it advisable to stay at St. Marco in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Rita

My husband and I are going to spend 3 nights in venice. Is it advisable to stay in St. Marco because it's the most central point in venice with easy access to other places? Have booked the hotel Locanda Leon Bianco which is at Cannaregio..does to take long from Cannaregio to St. Marco and other tourist spots?

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:04 AM
Julie

I think Venice is a little like Paris. You pick the neighborhood you like, you get on the metro (vaporetto in Venice) and go to other places you want to see. Each area has its appeal and charm. Only difference is Venice is smaller than Paris so it's even easier to walk to most things. You'll be fine wherever you stay.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 04:54 AM
elaine

Rita<BR>Venice is very small; your hotel I believe will be within a 15-20 minute walk from San Marco, at a leisurely pace. Many people like staying in Cannaregio because it is a little away from the tourist hub, and you will find many shops and restaurants in that area that are where Venetians stop, as opposed to only tourists.<BR>I've heard good things about the Leon Bianco as a budget hotel.<BR>I have a file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR>Good luck.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Jane

I agree with the other people replying to your message. I personally think it is a very good idea not to stay in the San Marco area - it is very hectic and noisy. It's nice to retreat to a quiet area at the end of the day and, as Julie wrote, you are always within walking distance of San Marco.<BR><BR>My hint would be to make sure you don't eat on the Grand Canal or right near San Marco. We had much better food in the Dorsoduro (spelling?) area. We stayed at La Calcina which was right on the Giudecca Canal. Very picturesque location and reasonably priced. We had a wonderful time.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Barb

Good God I stayed at the Locanda in March two years ago. This must have been the rainy season because the first floor and part of the restaurant, bar were flooded. From the drop off of the train station/boat taxi I believe it was a pretty, scenic 15 minute boat ride to San Marco. To be honest I'd stay two nights in Venice and take a one night side trip to Verona. An hour by train! Verona takes you away from the crowds and you feel like you have stepped back in time. Many beautiful courtyards and cubby hole restaurants and bars.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Monica

I stayed at Locanda Leon Bianco last month (5 nights). Yes, it is a 15-20 minute walk to the Piazza San Marco. It's in a good location about 5 minutes to the Rialto bridge and market area, as well as to the Ca d'Oro vaporetto stop. Our hotel hosts were very nice and our room was comfortable (large too, #5).<BR><BR>We enjoyed some good restaurants nearby, which you can read about on my web site at http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html <BR><BR>