Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it absolutely necessary to have a 4-digit PIN number for your ATM?

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 08:07 AM
SGould

I've read a couple of notes on the forum regarding 4-dig pin numbers. Ours is 5-digit and we're wondering if this is an ongoing regular problem or just an occasional inconvenience? Thanks for any advice.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 08:39 AM
vosaki

At least last summer, many ATM's would not accept more than 4 digits.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Marie

It is necessary to have a 4 digit pin. We had to change ours. We were in Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, and 2 islands in May. I was told by my bank that a 4 digit pin is required all thru Europe. We used the ATM in all of those locations. I was notified of that on this forum. Also notify your bank that you will be traveling in Europe. They put a warning on your account. Otherwise they may see strange activity and cancel your card.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Paulo

I've a 6-digit pin card (credit) that works all over Europe (I just have to type the first 4 digits).

There's a way you may find out if your's going to work or not. Your card should use either CIRRUS or PLUS networks. Just go to an ATM of another bank in town (connected to the same network) and try to get some cash out by typing in the first 4 digits of your card. If it works, there's no reason it shouldn't work in Europe. This experinece is probably going to cost you a couple of bucks.

Anyway, it's wise to travel with at least a 2nd card. If you don't have one, you may ask to issue one with 4-digit pin.

Paulo

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Cindy

Learned a neat ATM thing recently. I always thought you had to call the bank and get them to change your PIN or re-issue your card. For my bank (First Union), you just go to any branch ATM and put your card in and punch in your PIN. There is a button for "Options" or "Other" or something similar. Push that button, and you can change your own PIN on the spot. Might as well just change it to eliminate one of the many things that can go wrong while away.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 05:53 PM
SGould

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I'll definitely try to change our PIN.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 04:36 AM
John

Hi

Just wanted to add that you should use numeric pin not letters. I found that out the hard way when O tried to enter my "four-letter word pin into a machine with no letter/numbers like we have here in the USA. Took awhile to remember the letter/number combo!!

JOHN

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 11:42 AM
sharon

We used 4 and 5 digit pins in Rome, Florence, and Venice. A few Atm's did not work at all or work with letters for a pin. Just moved on to the next and instant money. They are everywhere and not a problem at all.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 03:28 PM
the turnip

Only if you want to get money from the machine...

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 06:18 PM
Diann Wildes

We used the first four digits of our five digit pin number in England last year without difficulty...has anyone from Boston area tried to use the new Fleet cards? They will not change my pin to a four digit one, so am wondering if it will work, as the old Bay Bank one did in the UK. I don't want to get to Rome and be stuck!!

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Caitlin H

Just curious - is this a new thing?

I travelled throughout the UK for 6 weeks in 1995 with a VISA card that had a 6 digit pin number (actually a debit card so I used it extensivly for cash withdrawals). I don't remember having any problems with it. In fact it hasn't changed since then and I'm leaving for Italy & Greece in 4 weeks. Do I really need to change it?

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 05:45 AM
Ed

Many ATMs will read just the first four digits of your PIN and ignore the rest.

Some (perhaps many depending on country, bank and network) will not ignore digits over four and reject your access.

Do you really need to change it? Only if you want to have the highest assurance of getting cash when and where you want it.

Ed

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Bob

Go to your bank and they will change it for you to 4 digits. If you have to have 5 for some reason, change it when you get back. We use ATM all the time in Europe and never have any real problems. I changed mine to 4 and just left it that way. There was a good tip on notifying your bank and your Visa card people when and how long you will be in Europe. They put that note on their computer and it saves a hassle if they get nervous about too many charges showing up outside the US.

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 08:08 PM
Alice

Yes you have to have four digits. No more no less. I learned the hard way. My husband reminds about it often. How he had to western union me money. I listened to folks here who said it was fine to have 5 numbers. It was not in Eastern Europe or in parts of Western europe where I was at least.

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 08:18 PM
Alice

I am in Tewksbury Ma. I have a fleet account. I had to close my account and open another to get the 4 digit pin number. Which I know you need in Eastern Europe and many parts of western Europe. I hear South America is fine with 5 numbers but that is not europe.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 10:30 PM
BP

Now this has gotten me confused! I was reading the Gold Guide to Rome last night and it said that I needed a 5 digit PIN in Rome. I was about to change mine to fit!

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 03:58 AM
Diann

We used the first four numbers of our 6-digit PIN with no difficulties at all in Italy; however, we had also acquired a four digit pin number on a new account opened before the trip which refused to work!!! We later realized the PIN needed to be linked to a checking account, rather than the simple savings account we had naively, and uselessly, set up...

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 02:37 AM
Claudia

My bank informed me that our debit cards will not work in Europe if the first number is 0 and since my PIN starts with 0 I will be changing it. We will take two debit cards on different accounts just to be safe.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 09:56 AM
CAROL

Hi! My daughter just returned from Spain and we assured her her ATM would work anywhere and to not take much cash.
Well... her ATM was rejected in every machine. (Luckily she was with her sister who's card did work). We called the bank when she got home and were told they only work in Europe when they are attached to a checking acct. NOT a savings acct. which was what she had.
Surprise, surprise!!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Deb

Just to be safe, I would change your 5-digit. It was really simple; I just went to my bank and re-keyed in another PIN.