Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it a huge pain to have a car in Amsterdam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking of a trip to the Netherlands next summer, or the next. My husband is 100% Dutch - the ancestors came to the US around 100 years ago. Because of the family connection, there will be places we'll want to go that aren't on the usual "tourist circuit." It sounds pleasant to drive around the Netherlands, but is it an incredible pain to have a car in Amsterdam (like I always think it would be in Paris or Rome)? Would it be a better idea to rent a car for a single day or two if we need to get to places not easily reached by public transportation?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Mass transit is good in the Netherlands. However, there are some places where it's more convenient to have a car...Oerle, for example or the small towns in Zeeland.

Having a car in Netherlands is a pain. If you want to go somewhere not well served by trains, etc., then see if you can rent a car at a point close to it (for example, with Oerle, you could pick up a rental at the Eindhoven airport). Or pick up your rental at Schiphol.

Finally, if it's a fine day and your destination isn't too far from a train station, go to the train station (or town center) nearest your destination that offers bike rentals and go by bike instead. The bike lane/path network in the Netherlands is amazing and it would be a shame not to spend some time taking advantage of it.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM

To answer your subject-question, yes, it would be a huge pain to have a car in Amsterdam. Now a bicycle....

As BTilke says, public transportation is very good in the Netherlands. You should be easily able to get to almost any place.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:36 AM
ira

Ditto mimar
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:45 AM

The NS (Dutch Railways) Trein + taxi scheme may solve your problems without having to rent a car. You can have a taxi waiting at any station except Amsterdam Centraal i think and have a guaranteed low rate to get anywhere trains don't. Ask at any station or go to www.ns.nl - the Dutch Railways web site.
Amsterdam is virtually offlimits for cars except on a few main arteries and parking in town costs about $25/day if you can find a place. Trains go everywhere most folks will want to go.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Parking is difficult and very expensive. Only travel by car if there are no other options.
Public transport is in general very good and very frequent.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Parking is difficult and expensive in Amsterdam - as in the center of any major city. And the canals don;t help.

Just rent a car for the days you need to go see people not easily reached by public transit. Why pay for a car sitting in a garage?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't speak to the rest of the country, but YES, for sure, absolutely, it would be a pain to have a car in Amsterdam.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

You've convinced me...no car. I assume that it would be pretty easy to do day trips to Antwerp, Brugge, etc. Right?
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 06:41 AM

Well, Bruges is not so easy. 3 and a half hours by train with one change(www.bahn.de) and 2 hours 40 minutes by car (www.mappy.com). Antwerp is a little closer. You might want to make it a second base for a few days.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:09 AM

Brugge and Antwerpen are easily reached by train; it just takes some time to get there.
Agree with the advice about a car in Amsterdam, though I always drive there and park (I live near Antwerp), but that is only for daytrips, and parking is expensive. Cities are easy to do by train, it's just when you go to smaller towns that it would be easier having a car. I would do Amsterdam and larger towns by train, and rent a car for a few days to see the country; check with your hotel in Amsterdam about parking, or leave it somewhere on the outskirts or Amsterdam when you get back in the evening.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 02:17 PM

We drove to our B&B in Amsterdam from Delft. Unloaded the suitcases and Mrs. Fly, then drove the car to Avis and turned it in (Amsterdam was the last stop on our trip, so we didn't need a car from then on).

Where we were driving wasn't bad (to Herenstraat between the Herengracht and the Keizersgracht), but I wouldn't want to routinely drive around the city and try to find parking. Especially since, as others have pointed out, it's a walkable city and public transportation is pretty good.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 02:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We kept our car when we ended our trip in a'dam last year. I think we found one of the only hotels with parking in the city - but it was its only virtue!
In three days, we only used it to visit Haarlem on our last night, and the tulip fields on our last day, on the way to the airport.
in retrospect, I would dump bags at the hotel, then return car to airport as ap, relying upon the trains etc.
You live and learn.