Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time ot Visit L'Aquila in Italy?

Mar 21st, 2010, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

I am keen to visit the Abruzzo National Park this summer but I am conscious of the devastation that the earthquake caused there last year.

Are tourists welcomed or is the city still recovering ? Are there facilities for tourists or would we get inthe way ?

Any advice welcomed.

thanks

Andy
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:09 AM

I've seen reports of hotels re-opening. Many journalists and celebrities helping to raise money have been in the city, and I'm sure you will see more soon since April is the anniversary of the quake.

There are lots bed and breakfasts in the area around l'Aquila with good access to the park, so you could look to stay in one of them and it is hard to imagine you'd be in anybody's way there.

I've seen news reports and interviews in Italy of the local residents' determination to put l'Aquila back on the tourist map. Were it me planning a trip to the park,, I would do some googling to see if I could track down some local blogs, recent news reports, etc. about L'Aquila. But if I couldn't, once I was in the region, I think I would stop by for lunch. If I felt I was in the way, I'd make a donation and leave. But I wouldn't be surprised if local business was very welcoming and glad to see people returning.
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:18 AM

Here's a March 15 report from the Voice of America, which gives only the tiniest bit of optimisim about the city center being open for business by summer:

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news...-87662427.html
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:20 AM

L'Aquila and Abruzzo National Park are more than 120 km apart (quite a bit on slow-speed roads). Unless you were planning to drive in the direction of L'Aquila before or after visiting the park, I wouldn't make a long detour, especially after reading the link Zeppole provided.
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM

Jean is absolutely right. Without even thinking, I thought you were headed to Parco Nazionale del Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga, which is adjacent to L'Aquila.