Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Ireland amongst the most expensive places to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that Ireland was the second most expensive place to visit. Is this true?
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 11:30 AM
EdnaB

Let me see, a week in Tokyo or a week in County Cork?<BR>A week in midtown Manhattan, or a week in Galway?<BR>A week in London or a week in Dublin?<BR>A week in a private Caribbean island or a week in Kenmare?<BR>Are you crazy, Dane? Who told you such a crazy thing?

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 12:03 PM

Ireland is amazingly INEXPENSIVE. It is served by several low fare airlines, and B&amp;Bs and self catering accomodations are very reasonably priced. The pubs and food are not budget breakers either. Whoever told you that was probably pulling your leg.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 12:21 PM

If anything it would be closer to being the second LEAST expensive place to visit. I agree with those above, someone must have been kidding you.<BR><BR>But I do love it when someone comes home from a trip and starts talking about the 5 star hotels they stayed in, the private car and guide they hired, and the Michelin starred restaurants and then says, &quot;I didn't find that country cheap at all!!&quot; We had friends who did that in Portugal and they still can't seem to understand why people say Portugal is inexpensive -- well, DUH!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:19 PM

I agree with the above posters that Ireland is not very expensive compared to other European countries. Have never been to Eastern Europe but in general things are about 1.5 times more expensive ( in eur. )than here in the US. If you look at tour books the UK and Ireland are less expensive than France and Italy. And of course there's always priceline for inexpensive safe hotels. Also, you can save a lot of money by just eating at pubs for dinner. Just to experience the kind, good hearted people of Ireland is reason enough to go.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 02:56 PM

Hi Patrick. I know what you mean. <BR>Dromoland gets so much play on this site that I thought while I am planning for our upcoming trip, &quot;why not?&quot; Let me see what it will cost. <BR>Well, the least expensive room they have for when I would be there is over $500 for two of us for a night. This is not with any meal.<BR>Well, I only checked their website and so they may give me a better price if I contact them directly. But I don't think we will be spending that much on a night's lodging.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 05:18 PM

Well, Dane--we were in Ireland in November and here are some typical prices: Guinness, about E3:30 a pint everywhere, B&amp;B's around E40-60 for two; rentacar for twenty days E900 including insurance right down to the ground. Restaurant meals anywhere from E20 to E200(the best in Ireland) for two inc. tax, tip and wine. Taxis just cheap. Brooks Hotel in Dublin (and I defy anyone to suggest a better deal) E190 a night with a fantastic breakfast. Gas a little less than E1 per litre. Not that bad really (and we were converting from the Canadian dollar, the world's weakest (almost) currency! Walk in the park compared to Denmark or the UK. EdnaB has it right.<BR><BR>DES
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 08:05 PM

While I agree with everyone's comments, I also have to add that, as an American, I'm being hit pretty hard in my budget for this year's trip - this is the 6th yearly trip to Ireland. Costs have definitely risen in this time frame. And the devalued dollar means even greater costs. Last year my dollar was worth 1.24 euro, this year its worth .92...so even if prices were the same (they are not - especially for renting a car!)things are costing me 25% more! I'm praying the dollar stabilizes before my May trip...as I'm praying the political situation stabilizes for ALL our sakes - and not just economics!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 09:24 PM

Maybe Dane meant Iceland instead of Ireland. Iceland might be the second most expensive.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 09:39 AM

We visited Ireland this summer after a ten year interval. Our impression was that prices were on a par with the US, and nothing is cheap. We alternated staying in guesthouses and B&amp;B's, ate mostly in pubs, etc. A nice guesthouse, with breakfast ran about 250 a night. B&amp;B about 80per person. Fodd is about the same as here, gasoline much more expensive. Ireland is in the EU now and has prospered greatly. Lots of young people about with a lot of disposable money it seemed to us. A good restaurant meal: 25-30 per, not counting wine. Don't go expecting any great values. Bought some shoes while there: same money as here. The money is about at par too.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 09:48 AM

I live in boston,and it would be cheaper for me to go to ireland,with all expenses included,than it would be to go out to dinner alone in boston all week. Who ever told you that,don't buy that bridge from them either.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Dane is uninformed if she thinks Ireland is expensive. She has obviously not been to London, Tokyo, Libreville (Gabon), or Reykjavik.<BR><BR>One can try to save money on hotels and restaurants. One can eat out of cans (I have) or stay in a B&amp;B outside a major city (I've also done that). I have even slept in a car when I wanted one to see a place in the country and used the front seat as a hotel. I've only done this once and also another time when all the hotels of a small town and the next small town were fully booked.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 11:17 AM

We were in Ireland last fall with an Elderhostel. Some of the local people we talked to,felt that the euro had raised prices a great deal. We found that Scotland was a good deal more expensive. Ireland is such a beautiful country. Our daughter lived there for one and a half years.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:14 PM
pop

davidess<BR><BR>I can buy a pint of Guiness Stout in Portland Maine for $3/pint. I would have thought it would be a lot cheaper in Ireland.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:44 PM

that is kind of funny -- Ireland vs. Tokyo or Manhattan. However, I wouldn't call it cheap, either. I agree with the post that it's just about the same cost, relatively, as the US. I didn't find it unusually expensive, but no bargains, either. things are cheap in a lot of countries outside the major cities. I was there at a time the USD was probably worth relatively about what it is now -- not terrible but not the best. I don't remember the USD ever being worth 1.24 euro, though, I seem to remember it being around 1.15 about a year ago for a few months.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:55 PM

<BR>I was just talking about this to a friend of mine. <BR>I am taking a 14 day trip in April -<BR>Total cost $1650 USD Incl Air/Car/B&amp;B/Food/Tours the only thing not incl is gasoline &amp; souveniers. <BR><BR>My sister is spending 7 days at an all-inclusive in Mexico for $1500 USD. <BR><BR>Which do you think is a better value for the travel dollar? <BR><BR>(p.s. I stay in NICE but not extravagant B&amp;B's - ave price 35pps, and drive an automatic car)
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 02:54 AM

I think there was an article recently in the papers here in Irland and It showed Ireland was the 2nd most expensive country to live in after Finland. This refers to cost of living. i.e rents, price of milk etc. <BR><BR>While I feel London is very expensive compared to Dublin prices overall are high here. A pint of beer is about 4.80 euro and guinness is just under 4.00. Many prices increased after the euro and I actually can feel that I have less money at the end of the week than before conversion. Many price hikes were subtle and meaness on the part of retailers but thery are here to stay. <BR><BR>I personally found Paris reasonable and my other half still rants and raves about a lovely meal we had for 55 euros that would have been 100 in Dublin.<BR><BR>I pay a lot more tax and culturally here we are not as much a &quot;consumer&quot; society as the states (we are rapidly catching up!) Also we do not have as much disposable income and find things costly like eating out at the weekends. I still do it but in more reasonable restaurants and pizza/pasta places. I had more money to spend when I was in the U.S. as things were cheaper and I was taxed less. It's all from the perspective you live in.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 08:36 AM
Ardfert

Taxes are relatively high in Ireland as college fees are only a few hundred dollars per year and hospital care costs a maximum of a few hundred dollars per year.You can get good value in B and Bs and also if you buy some food in the supermarkets rather than eating in restaurants all the time.

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 09:32 AM
jor

Expensive? no.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 09:43 AM

Ardfert, if I'm correct, around 20% of each persons salary (no matter the dollar amount) in addition to the regular tax rate goes specifically for healthcare. I think the average UK resident pays arount 46% in taxes regardless of income amount? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. This is what I was told by our tour guide though I may have remembered incorrectly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -