Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Institut du Monde Arabe (in Paris) worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:39 AM
SDA
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this earlier but perhaps in the wrong place. Sorry for the double-posting:

I was hoping someone who has been to Institut du Monde Arabe in Paris can tell me their impressions and if they thought it was worth a visit.

I'd appreciate any help or insights. Thanks!

SDA
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty good, the view from the balcony is V good. The front screen is worth a photo and the collections are very good. I reckon it is in the top 50 things to do in Paris.

i think they do supper in the evening, might be worth it as the views would be good
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Hi, I'm still of two mind on this. I think I most liked the 'aperture' window coverings and their amazing gift shop with pottery and trinkets from a lot of countries.

Their permanent collection is rather limited and uninspiring I thought. So if in the area go but I wouldn't make a special trip.

I would make a special trip to see the Musee Gimet however. One of the most beautiful museums I've seen and an amazing collection. I mention this because I've never seen it brought up on this forum.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Sorry Musee Guimet!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:48 AM

lucyp:

Describe the Musee Guimet in more detail. I’m looking for something different when I go in May.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:02 AM

I agree, the permanent collection of l'Institut du Monde Arabe isn't great. But sometimes they have interesting temporary shows ... check and see what's on ... plus the gift shop is nice, and you can get mint tea and Middle Eastern pastries in the cafe.
If you're interested in things Islamic, you might also visit the Grande Mosquee of Paris. There are some lovely mosaics, and they have a nice gift shop and cafe. And for the really adventuresome they have a hammam (Middle-eastern style sauna).
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:20 AM

The Guimet is the museum of Asiatic Arts. Lovely museum itself with rich wooden floors and minimalistic plain white rooms - feels very calming. Lots of sculptures and artefacts; one amazing large room filled with buhda sculptures. The collection is organized by country of origin.
My own tastes generally tend to fine art and design; painting, sculpture and media but I really loved this museum.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM

If it helps,here is a snap of the facade of the Arab Center with those automatic light adjusters...

http://babette.smugmug.com/photos/96689209-L-1.jpg

And one view from the rooftop cafe...

http://babette.smugmug.com/photos/96689229-L-1.jpg

and yet another...

http://babette.smugmug.com/photos/96689238-L-1.jpg

Pjk
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
SDA
Original Poster

Hey, thanks for the responses. Two follow-up questions. First, is there much in English there? That is, are the descriptions of the displays in English. Two, how much did you get out of the visit. That is, did you come away with a better understand of Arabic culture and influence in France?

I'm considering taking a group of students there and since I've never been myself I don't know if they will get a good educational experience out of the visit.

Thanks again.

SDA
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM

The museum isn't really about Arab cultural influence on France, it's simply about Arab art and history in general. I don't remember if there are signs in English. But I do think that if you are taking a student group, you'd benefit from taking a tour with an English-speaking guide who knows the collection. The museum could probably arrange this.