Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Idol Hotel by Elegancia centrally located?

Old Mar 8th, 2015, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am planning to visit Paris for 3 nights (effectively 2.5 days) in end of April. I have zeroed on Idol Hotel by Elegancia which is in 8th Arr for my stay. Would like to know from you if this is the right choice as far as the location goes. Are the major attractions easily accessible from there?

Also since this is my first time in Paris. Can you suggest the must sees in 2.5 days.

I am confused on whether to go to the Louvre or not. Will it be feasible to do in my time frame? Would there be huge lines in end of April since it would be the start of the tourist season?

As far as Eiffel goes, should we go upto the top of the tower or the 2nd floor?

Does it make more sense to book all the tour tickets in advance/ or on the spot? Which will be the best sites to book the entry tickets if I were to book in advance? How can I book the airport pick up? Is it equally convenient (cost wise too) to take a cab or a shuttle at the airport without prior booking?

Thanks

Shveta
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 03:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well there is a nearby Metro so you can get around to the high spots. Not where I'd stay but not impossible. I prefer 5, 6 or 7

This may help http://goparis.about.com/od/transpor..._and_Buses.htm

Yes the Louvre, also the D'Orsay, the Museum of Islamic art, the Churches on the Ile de cite plus the deportation monument http://independenttravelcats.com/201...la-cite-paris/

Then there is tonnes more and it really depends on you wants and needs. You can fill in a good week without leaving the city.

Tourist season in Paris is pretty much 12 months long but April is not a big kick unless you hit a school holiday period (Easter?). Booking tickets get you around the queues. Up the Eiffel tower, a bit meh but up to others.

Cab or shuttle? Don't know, always catch the train.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 03:34 AM

Just look at the Tower from the ground.
Get a guide book and see what is interesting to you.
If you want to go to the Louvre, of course you can. what do you want to see there.
there are other museums that many like even better. Do you?
Take a taxi from the airport.
Where else are you going since you have such a short time to allot to Paris?
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bilboburglar and Grethchen. Can you suggest an alternative hotel in the arrs you mentioned ... my budget is around Eur 150 per night?

Gretchen I was confused on Louvre because I read that there are other better museums as you said. If that is so, which is the best one ... but Louvre was enticing primarily because of Vinci's works ...

We are heading to Switzerland from Paris for another 8 nights there ....

Since we have very limited time in Paris so wanted to cover the must sees till we come again to do France separately ....
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Mercure Paris Place D'Italie was the other choice ... is it better located?
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 06:05 AM

How many are we? That would help with hotel suggestions.

In April I would be giving much more time to Paris and less to Switz - which I adore - but April is a sort of awkward interim season there. Too late for winter sports - but too early for the glories of real spring summer in the Alps - lots of mud on hiking trails, too soon for flowers - OK in towns but Switz is really about the mountains.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 06:27 AM

I would definitely get the hop on hop off bus, 2 day tour.
I have been to Paris many times, and I love to just walk and do whatever. But, it's no fun getting lost when you have so little time. When you are on the bus, you can see all the street views and it is great. When I go to a new city, I always ride the bus the complete trip, then get off on the next trip around.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

We are 2 of us. I fully agree with you nytraveler, but my constraint was that I could never visit Switzerland in summers, so had to plan the trip that way (after detailed discussions on the Swiss forum).

Thanks Nlingenfel for the hoho bus idea, was thinking on those lines but was not sure if it is worth the money. Are the fares fixed or do they differ at different sites?
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Please suggest hotels so that I can book it.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 09:55 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either the hotel you have chosen or the arrondissement in which it is placed. It appears to have a rather unique, modern style which, if you like it, you should book it; then enjoy it.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sarastro