Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "Is Hagis kosher?" Can I eat it with milk? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-hagis-kosher-can-i-eat-it-with-milk-88630/)

Sandi Oct 2nd, 2000 08:05 PM

"Is Hagis kosher?" Can I eat it with milk?

Someone has started a thread about The Catholic church. Geeze, Guys, Reminds me of the long and tiresome "hagis" (in a tube) thread. Travel..travel...travel....keep repeating that to yourself.

Anon Oct 3rd, 2000 10:07 AM

Sandi, thanks again for reminding us that no one should have any fun on this forum and that everything should be all business. Except this thread you started, right? <BR> <BR>By the way, do you think Fodors should add a few categories to this forum? Say, nine, perhaps?

Al Godon Oct 3rd, 2000 11:42 AM

I think we should start a discussion as to whether or not hagis is edible. <BR>Anybody out there really eaten the stuff, other than our Scottish contributors?

AC Oct 3rd, 2000 11:45 AM

Haggis is lamb and spices. Not bad once you get passed everything that is said about where it comes from and how it is made.

Paule Oct 3rd, 2000 01:01 PM

I ate it and liked it a lot! I lived in Edinburgh for a year (many moons ago now) and had it regularly with my 'neeps' and 'tatties'......but there was only one butcher that made it in a way that I liked it. <BR> <BR>Of course, he raised 'em in captivity so it was good and tender!

John Oct 3rd, 2000 05:52 PM

Travel...food...other cultures...cultural values...sheep's stomach...ummm, haggis.... <BR> <BR>Is Haggis kosher? Can be, if it's made properly. <BR> <BR>Can I eat it with milk? <BR> <BR>Excuse me? The correct question is, "Is whisky kosher?" Apparently the answer is pretty arcane, having to do with the whisky being aged in sherry casks. Call your local Bet Din (there's one in Glasgow.) <BR> <BR>http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~nhbaker/haggis/

Boris Oct 4th, 2000 11:56 AM

<BR>Isn Haggis kosher? <BR>Not when its spelled with one g. <BR> <BR>Haggis is made from the offal (innards) of lamb or calfs spices and oatmeal boiled in the stomach lining of the animal. <BR> <BR>Haggis could be made kosher---but not if its consumed with milk--its just not kosher to mix meat with milk. <BR> <BR>

kk Oct 4th, 2000 12:09 PM

How in the world did I miss a whole thread on the Catholic Church? <BR>Where is truth in labeling when you need it!

pam Oct 4th, 2000 01:02 PM

Just a brief legal note: speaking for Hellie and myself, please remember to use "TM" when you discuss our product, Haggis in a Tube(TM). It is a patented, unique product and the name 'Haggis in a Tube(TM)' is trademarked, registered, and service marked in every country 'round the globe.

Cindy Oct 4th, 2000 01:29 PM

KK, <BR> <BR>You missed the Catholic thread because it was on the Italy board. Trust me, it wasn't worth the time it would take you to search for it, and it wasn't nearly as lengthy as contentious threads tend to be. <BR> <BR>For your benefit, I will briefly summarize it: <BR> <BR>"Catholics aren't nice." <BR> <BR>"Yes they are." <BR> <BR>And so forth.

kk Oct 4th, 2000 01:32 PM

Cindy, that was really nice of you for saving me time and trouble. The bad old days of the Italy forum, eh? No wonder I missed it since I boycotted that. Oh glory, hallelujah, I am so glad we are all back together. Thanks again.

SharonM Oct 4th, 2000 01:40 PM

....And here I though you were talking about the "Is Catholism the only real religion" thread(or something like that...)! <BR>Soooo many choices... <BR> <BR>Oh, and Sandy, I think skim to 2% milk is acceptable...full milk would be sinfull tho!

bjorkk Oct 8th, 2000 07:26 PM

Haggis is a bit like kishka (stuffed derma) ... and is a meat product so you should not eat it with a dairy product if you're trying to keep kosher. As for Scottish bagels -- there's a bakery on Victoria Street in Edinburgh that makes them, but they're not too hot. However, the almond croissants are orgasmic.:-)