Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Greece a good choice for 17 yr. old granddaugher's first trip to Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-greece-a-good-choice-for-17-yr-old-granddaughers-first-trip-to-europe-838007/)

mari5 Apr 29th, 2010 03:26 PM

Is Greece a good choice for 17 yr. old granddaugher's first trip to Europe

After graduation next year we are entertaining the thought of taking our granddaughter and her mother (our daughter) to Europe. My husband and I (with 3 kids) lived overseas for 5 years (Senegal & Portugal) 35 yrs ago...and travel each year back to Europe. Our daughter taught at an American school 2 years in Turkey, and traveled extensively during those years...Italy, France, Austria, Germany etc.
Now her daughter,, our lovely, fun grandaughter, seems to want to visit Greece (must have seen some movies :) We always thought London and around England,,, and/or Paris would be good for her first trip abroad.
I know: "to each his own", but we're wondering if Greece would be a good choice for a graduation trip. I'm good at planning and we could of course combine it with an open jaw ticket and stop a few days in either London or Paris.
So my question,,,,what about Greece?
THANKS!!!

P_M Apr 29th, 2010 03:31 PM

Greece is fabulous, and kudos to your granddaughter for making such a fine choice. So much history combined with drop dead gorgeous scenery, especially on the islands. If you have any specific questions about Greece I will be happy to answer if I can.

Nikki Apr 29th, 2010 03:49 PM

Why not? Ask your granddaughter why she wants to go there and what she wants to see. Something must have sparked her interest. I'd go with it.

jubilada Apr 29th, 2010 05:10 PM

my son went to Greece with a college trip for three weeks and came back with a year's worth of stories. I say go where her interest takes her!

Palenque Apr 29th, 2010 05:18 PM

well i think the OP is worried about the recent chaos in Greece with its financial crisis and spate of strikes - transports, banks, etc.

I think that is what OP is asking and not a general Q about whether granddaughter should go to Greece, which ordinarily would be a no-brainer - of course for the reasons stated above.

Palenque Apr 29th, 2010 05:21 PM

well on 2nd reading of OP i think the financial crises is not in the mix - so i retract everything i said.

Yes Greece on itself in ordinary times is a fantastic place to go. but stay atuned the current situation - like in the last few months there have been paralyzing national ztrikes that seriously affects tourists' plans.

StCirq Apr 29th, 2010 05:58 PM

Greece is a fabulous destination, and with your daughter's travel background, it should be quite manageable. That said, as a general rule for let's say a first-time 17-year-old in Europe I wouldn't recommend Greece, as logistics are harder to handle there than in other more frequented European spots. And given the current economic situation, one should be prepared for events out of the ordinary.

But you seem like a well-traveled family, and there is no doubt that Greece is a wonder, and if that's where the granddaughter wants to go, good for her for thinking somewhat out of the box.