Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Godiva chocolate different or better in Belgium? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-godiva-chocolate-different-or-better-in-belgium-208620/)

junebug Jan 26th, 2003 05:24 PM

Is Godiva chocolate different or better in Belgium?

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question. I'll be in Brussels next month and would like to bring back some chocolate for some friends. Belgium is reknowned for its chocolate, but we can get Godiva pretty much everywhere here in the states, so I was wondering if it's at all different over there? They use butter with a higher fat content, and things like that, but I wouldn't want to buy something there that's easily found here. Or, if anyone knows about these things, is there another superb chocolatier in Brussels where I can get something really special? Thanks very much for any responses!

xxx Jan 26th, 2003 05:28 PM

sounds like another quinty question

Sue Jan 26th, 2003 05:34 PM

Godiva is owned by the Campbell Soup Co. Your best bet in Brussels is to find a small chocolatier who makes his/her chocolate on the premises, and that shouldn't be hard to do. The mass produced stuff can be bought world wide; the difference in taste in incredible.

Quinty Jan 26th, 2003 06:08 PM

Gee xxx, I was surprised to see your comment... made me all flushed feeling.<BR><BR>I do not share chocolate... I EAT IT ALL MYSELF! Besides, I'm not that hot on Godiva. Used to have a stupid boyfriend who gave Godiva stuff to me all the time. I tossed the boyfriend, and the brand of chocolate!<BR><BR>Anyway, I guess you do not know me yet.. and with your comment, I'm not sure I'd want you to.

Ronda Jan 26th, 2003 08:40 PM

Junebug:<BR><BR>When I was in Brussels last fall there were many different types of chocolates to be purchased. Godiva and another well known name, which escapes me, were expensive. There was another brand which was less expensive - Leonidas - I believe. It was tasty and reasonable. The other couple we were with bought many boxes to bring back as gifts. <BR><BR>I was surprised then when I saw a Leonidas chocolate kiosk in Valley Fair Mall, San Jose, California. However, it was twice as expensive! I also saw another in Los Gatos, California.<BR><BR>Half the fun of buying chocolate in Belgium is to sample all the different brands. One here, another there. One before lunch, one after, one for a snack, before dinner, several after, and also before bed. <BR><BR>There are several shops on that famous square in Brussels including Leonidas (Leonidas has Greek lettering). I would agree with the poster above that said the small shops with handmade chocolates are the best. <BR><BR>PS Warm your chocolate in the microwave a bit for an added taste sensation.

Lisa Jan 26th, 2003 08:58 PM

<BR>It probably IS different.<BR><BR>I was told by a representative of Lindt (Swiss chocolate) that the formulations made for Europe and those for the USA are quite different.<BR>The Europeans like a creamy chocolate, while Americans like a sweeter chocolate.<BR><BR>One of my girlfriends actually did a test taste between Lindt bought in Switzerland &amp; Lindt bought in the USA and said they were not the same.<BR><BR>The same could possibly be true of Godiva

Marilyn Jan 26th, 2003 09:47 PM

Oh junebug you will be in the midst of some of the most fantastic chocolate in the world -- don't waste your time on Godiva!

xxx Jan 26th, 2003 10:01 PM

There are quite a few unknown Belgian chocolate brands that are much better-tasting than Godiva in my opinion. They have their own shops. In the US I'd rather buy See's chocolates instead of Godiva.

BTilke Jan 27th, 2003 02:22 AM

For yourself, buy the chocolate that YOU like. It could be Godiva, it could be another brand, don't let the chocolate snobs tell you that it's junk. There are plenty of Belgians who still buy Godiva--and enjoy it! Other brands worth investigating are Leonidas (mentioned above), Neuhaus, Pierre Marcolini, etc. You will also find various small chocolate makers in neighborhoods--try one of those. <BR>I spent three+years in Brussels and tried dozens of different chocolates. But my favorite is actually Schiesser from Switzerland. But I also liked Godiva (and Neuhaus and Leonidas and...)<BR>There is NO one best chocolate, just like there is no one best wine or shoe or painter. There are two reasons not to bring Godiva back: one, IF you don't like it yourself or two, as you noted, you can get Godiva easily in the U.S. <BR>My father tried all the &quot;fancy&quot; chocolates but likes the cheap Cote d'Or chocolate. I hate it, it gives me heartburn, but I am not about to tell him his taste is crap. It's HIS choice. Try a bunch of different chocolates and pick the one that you like and you think you're friends will like.

Ursula Jan 27th, 2003 02:43 AM

BTilke, I like Schiesser as well. But as far as I know, their only shop is on the Marktplatz in Basel. So, unless you live in Basel or visit there, no chance to get it.<BR>Have you ever tried the chocolates from Braendli in Basel? Worth a sin as well.<BR>BTW, Spruengli will open a branch in Basel very soon, in the train station shopping area. It's gonna be the first branch outside Zurich, besides the one in Winterthur.<BR>However, I think, Spruengli is overrated. Not bad for sandwiches and cakes, but I am not a huge fan of their chocolate. I prefer Teuscher, by far.<BR>The only good thing about their main store on Paradeplatz in Zuerich: they are open on Sundays.

Dutch Jan 27th, 2003 06:39 AM

I can't think of any reasonable person who would turn thier nose up at Godiva - or any good chocolate. Godiva has outlets all over Brussels so it may be more convenient. Also good is Neuhaus and Galler. I didn't think Leonidas was quite as good - but it is much cheaper. (You might want to wander into a local grocery store and buy a supply of cheaper chocolates to hand out to people back home as a small gift without going broke.)

EyeSpyEurope Jan 27th, 2003 07:16 AM

Godiva is owned by the Campbell Soup Company in Camden, NJ. Some excellent Belgian chocolates are: 1) Neuhaus (my favorite) and 2) Leonidas. Go into any chocolatier in Belgium -- you're sure to find them. Neuhaus and Leonidas have their own boutiques too. In chocolatiers, you'll be able to get them as well as other Belgian brands.

Marilyn Jan 27th, 2003 08:59 AM

I didn't mean that Godiva wasn't good, and I've never turned it down to tell the truth! But since you can get it in the US, you should take advantage of being in Brussels to try all the wonderful chocolate that you CAN'T get here in the US.<BR><BR>Many years ago a friend brought a small box of expensive Belgian chocolates home with her. (No idea what brand.) Four of us sat around and cut each piece into 4 so we could sample them. They were sheer heaven!

Dutch Jan 27th, 2003 09:21 AM

One other thing - I try to buy my chocolates in the duty free shops in the airport as I am heading home. They are cheaper and I don't have to worry about carrying them around with me as I travel. (they melt, break, or get eaten before I reach home)

Quinty Jan 27th, 2003 12:10 PM

Are those sea shell chocolates from Belguim a tourist thing? I see them a lot here in the US.<BR>Just curious...

martinewezel Jan 27th, 2003 01:20 PM

Quinty,<BR><BR>Try the sea shell chocolates from Guylian! mmm...<BR><BR>BTW, here in Belgium the real, but ordinary chocolate, and that is the one called &quot;C&ocirc;te d'Or&quot; is still the best!<BR>Callebaut is also a good brand.