Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Genoa Worth visiting (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-genoa-worth-visiting-711351/)

zinnimal Jun 7th, 2007 09:39 AM

Is Genoa Worth visiting

Hello,

I am spending four nights in Rapallo later this year and was wondering if Genoa is worth seeing or am I better off spending my time seeing Cinque Terre, Portofino, ect...

Thank you,

--Paul

PalenQ Jun 7th, 2007 09:43 AM

That would depend on whether you like large cities or places like the other two.

I've been to Genoa several times and find it fascinating - especially the narrow warren of lanes just up from the port. Also one of the world's finest Aquariums. the city was cleaned up for a World's Exhibition so the former Naples-esque grime is gone.

Personally if i had just one day i'd do the Cinque Terre and hike the seven-mile goat trail between villages.

donw Jun 7th, 2007 09:53 AM

CT or Portofino for me. I think Genoa, and I've only driven thru it, is an industrial city.

PalenQ Jun 7th, 2007 09:58 AM

"Travellers who think of Genoa as simply a dirty port town and bypass the city for the coastal resorts do the city and themselves a great disservice."

ringed by industry perhaps but a gem of an old-world historical city centre IMO

MyriamC Jun 7th, 2007 10:04 AM

Genoa is a beautiful city! We have been there more or less by accident. We drove past (on our way to the C.T.), and thought we might spend an hour or so ... We spent the whole day in Genoa. This was in 2004 when Genoa was Cultural Capital of Europe.

With four nights in Rapallo you can easily wing Genoa in, IMO. The Cinque Terre doesn't cover a lot of 'land' and can be seen in one or max. 2 days. Unless you want to do all the hikes between the five villages. Tip: take the boat from one village to the next rather than the train. The views from the water are magnificent.
Rapallo, Portofino, Lerici, Santa Margherita Ligure, ... can be seen in one day. All are very pretty.

bellini Jun 7th, 2007 10:22 AM

Don't miss Genova- it's beautiful. we loved just wandering the narrow streets of the old port and the fabulous palazzos, sone of which are great museums/galleries.

brando Jun 7th, 2007 11:43 AM

I'm a history guy, so being in the birth place of chris columbus is very cool. So I had a great afternoon and a horrible evening sleeping in the train station in the midst of a domestic dispute with hardcore abuse that I stepped into and spent a hour or so talking to the police- and their english was marginal at best. It was worth it, no excuse for hiting a women.

kfusto Jun 7th, 2007 12:11 PM

I loved Genoa and have visited twice, once from Rapallo and once by ship. I would definitely spend time there again.

I much preferred it over the CT, which is like a Rick Steeves convention. I left after an hour in Monterosso :(

Portofino is visually stunning but I preferred the gritter Genoa. The acquarium was a gem and it was nice not being in a tourist swarm.

vivi Jun 7th, 2007 12:45 PM

If you will be in Rapallo on a Thursday morning make sure you go the weekly market on the waterfront promenade!

ekscrunchy Jun 8th, 2007 02:54 AM

If you have access to Saveur magazine, published in the US, you might take a look at their wonderful article on that city, which ran sometime during the last year or so...check their website to see if you can order a back issue. The story focused on food but had lots of information on the palazzos and other sights as well.

zinnimal Jun 8th, 2007 04:01 AM

Thank you very much for all of your insight! We will definitely be visiting Genoa this August.

highflyer Jun 8th, 2007 05:11 AM

Genoa has a stunning cathedral with a black and white facade that I've not seen anywhere else...

sapito Jul 23rd, 2007 08:50 AM

YES

artlover Jul 23rd, 2007 12:34 PM

This was one of the few places we've been in Italy that we didn't like at all. But as you can see, others disagree.

adeben Jul 24th, 2007 01:48 AM

Inevitably the answer to a question about whether (Insert City) is worth seeing will be:
1* Yes
2* No
3* Maybe
4* It all depends...

ekscrunchy May 20th, 2008 03:15 AM

Also wondering about spending time in Genoa..2-3 nights..in September..

Staglione cemetery
medieval core of city
train to Casella

???

ekscrunchy May 21st, 2008 05:56 AM

Anyone visited Genoa recently? Impressions?

davidjac May 21st, 2008 06:53 AM

I visited Genoa last July. It was interesting since I am into history but I was not overly impressed by the city as a whole. I would probably go there for a day but that would be it.

David J

ncounty Apr 18th, 2010 02:14 PM

Is it easy to get to Portofino from Genoa and do both in one day?

petertherabbitt Apr 18th, 2010 03:27 PM

do go and see the cemetery if you do genova its worth a couple of hours