Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Genoa worth a visit? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-genoa-worth-a-visit-680416/)

MarieC Feb 16th, 2007 02:43 PM

Is Genoa worth a visit?

My daughters (ages 18 and 20) are planning a two-week trip starting mid-June. They plan to start in London, stay maybe 3 nights, chunnel to Paris for 3- 4 nights ultimately ending in and flying home from Venice. They would like to add a destination somewhere either in southern France or northern Italy (likely preference would be northern Italy). They'd prefer someplace with a beach close by for maybe a day visit. I'm wondering about Genoa and environs. They have been to Cinque Terre and parts of Provence (including a couple of days in Cassis). Any thoughts on Genoa or any suggestions in general?
Thank you all.

WallyKringen Feb 16th, 2007 03:37 PM

It is a much underrated city with lots of great buildings, the San Lorenzo duomo, the elegant Palazzo Ducale, the Porta Soprana near Columbus' house, the Sant' Andrea cloisters, and on and on. Have them look up a guide book or go on google.

Genoa itself has a busy harbour, but beaches and places like Portofino etc. are only a short train ride away.

enroute Feb 16th, 2007 03:40 PM

I did not like Genoa. Very sorry. I thought it was dirty and unappealing. There are great many alternatives in either Northern Italy or Provence. too many to list. For the beach, Santa Margherita Ligure, Rapallo or even San Remo seems like a better choice.

Then there are Italian Lakes - that would have been my choice. Varenna has a beach, among others.

Verona or Ravenna might fit in with Venice as a point of departure.

Enjoy,

-e

artlover Feb 16th, 2007 04:23 PM

We also were disappointed with Genoa, but I know others who I respect on this board really like it (I'm sure we'll be hearing from LoveItaly).

kenderina Feb 16th, 2007 04:59 PM

I did a quick visit (on a coach tour, you know) and I liked it. Just don't compare it to Venice or Florence, it's different but it's full of history too (a republic as old as the venice one)and I also think is very underrated.

StuDudley Feb 16th, 2007 05:10 PM

If I were 18 or 20 & know what I know today after 30 years of vacationing in Europe, I would head for Nice. Lots of other 18 & 20 year olds there. Very different from Cassis. Great train access to other spots on the Riveria. They can take the TGV from Paris to Nice & fly home from there. I much prefer Nice over any beach place in Italy for someone under 30.

Stu Dudley

MarieC Mar 9th, 2007 12:03 PM

Thanks to all of you for your input. My older child will be home for Spring Break next week and she and her sister will investigate all your suggestions. StuDudley, I had not considered Nice. I have assumed it is too expensive (they'll be on a hostel budget) and jammed with wealthy tourists. But I'm sure they'll look into it given your comments.