Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is four full days in Amsterdam during mid-March too long? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-four-full-days-in-amsterdam-during-mid-march-too-long-130282/)

Beata Jun 15th, 2001 04:17 AM

Is four full days in Amsterdam during mid-March too long?

We are going on our first safari to Tanzania via Amsterdam in March and my husband whose great-grandparents were born in Amsterdam think we should stay there for a few days. I did not do any extensive research yet but isn't four days/five nights too long? And isn't too cold that time of the year for walking? Is it possible to stay in some nice hotel which is in a good location for around US $125? Any suggestions? What guide book is the best for Amsterdam in your opinion? Please help me before we make any final decisions. Thank you

m Jun 15th, 2001 05:04 AM

We were in Amsterdam for 3 days in March '00. It was cool (in the 50s) and 1 days it poured. during the worst of the rain we stayed on the museum boat. The other days it was fine, a little cool but no rain. There is plenty to do in 4 days. Amsterdam is adorable. The people are friendly and helpful and speak perfect English. You will not be disappointed.

Joey Jun 15th, 2001 06:14 AM

<BR>You're right about the weather, it can be quite miserable in March. I'd think about 2 days is enough to see what's available in March, unless you can hold off 'til the last week of March when Keukenhof Gardens opens & you can visit the world's largest flower garden...mostly tulips, of course.

Joe Jun 15th, 2001 06:58 AM

Day trips from Amsterdam are easy; Delft, Arnum, Den Haag, Haarlem, etc. See windmills along the way. Actually, we stayed in Haarlem at an excellent little Hotel, Golden Tulip Lion D'Or (about $125 per night). Quaint little town with easy access to Amsterdam by train.

Kathy Jun 15th, 2001 02:10 PM

We were there last year in March. If you like museums, as we do, there will be plenty to do for 3-4 days. We dressed warmly as it was cool, but we not miserable... The only catch for you is that you will have to pack some warm clothes as well as what you need for your safari!

scurry Jun 15th, 2001 04:20 PM

<BR>If you can do Keukenhoff, do it. <BR> <BR>It's very, very cool -- even if you're not that into flowers and gardens.

April Jun 16th, 2001 04:23 PM

We were there in February and didn't find it all that cold. Walk along the wonderful canals & through Vondelpark, go shopping, visit the Van Gogh museum and others, and be sure to take a night-time canal cruise. Four days wouldn't be nearly enough for me. <BR> <BR>Tourists aren't all over the place, including on the trains so taking a day trip is a breeze. <BR> <BR>I like the Eyewitness Guides for Amsterdam. <BR> <BR>It would especially be a kick if you could visit Amsterdam *after* being in Tanzania. Such a contrast. If you take something like a Gortex jacket, then all you'll need is a sweater underneath for Amsterdam (for the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater too!) and a pair of gloves.

blaine Jun 16th, 2001 08:08 PM

I was in Amsterdam in April so the weather was a little warmer. Be aware that the breeze (wind?) can be a problem so you need something to cut the chill. But lots to do both in the city and on day trips. One of the things I enjoyed was a trip to the North Sea. Obviously too cool to enjoy the beach but the seaside towns are pretty and the beach is big!The country side is lovely, very clean and the windmills are a must to see. Amsterdam itself has something for every taste; you won't regret it.

AC Jun 17th, 2001 10:26 AM

Hi Beata: <BR>Another vote for Amsterdam! just got back from my second visit. Love that city! This first was in late February 1998. It was cold but I am from NYC so I know about cold so it was never a problem. Layers are the only way to go. <BR>You will have enough time to enjoy everything at a good pace. Nothing is closed and the canal cruise boats are heated. <BR>I stayed at the Golden tulip Doelen, my first visit. Tried it again on second but they were book 8 months in advance! Worth a look see. www.goldentulip.com. This trip was Radisson SAS and it was great. Got a great deal through their website.www.radisson.com. Their rates include a great breakfast. I wrote a trip report AC and her Mom....check it out and have fun!

Diane Jun 17th, 2001 12:36 PM

I was in Amsterdam in mid-March three years ago and the weather was not bad at all(we walked everywhere) and there was plenty to do (I was there Monday to Saturday). I know there were things that I missed. I took a train trip to Delft to tour the factory where "real" delftware is made--fascinating. The Rijksmuseum is at least one day. Regarding guide books, my husband likes Eyewitness and I like Fodor's. And I second what m said about the people---very friendly and helpful and their English IS perfect.

Jody Jun 20th, 2001 06:23 AM

We're leaving for Amsterdam for a week next Saturday, June 30th. We love it and have been there twice before. There is so much to see and do, four days could be just right for your first trip. I'm not sure what the city is like in March since our last two trips were in May. Just keep an eye on the temperatures over the internet and pack accordingly. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza our first trip (near Central Station) and the Marriott on Stadhouderskade, they both were a little pricey, but since we were there on my husband's business trips our pocketbooks weren't being hit. This trip is planned on our own as a vacation and we booked at the Best Western "Terdam". Good location, good prices, but since they couldn't accommodate our 7th night, we opted to rent a houseboat from Amsterdam House on a canal in the city Center. It's cheaper than a hotel and more exciting (I'd expect). We'll post a message when we return to let you know how things went. My husband and I like "Eyewitness", "Lonely Planet" regular and condensed books as well as "Passport" Essential Amsterdam for guidebooks. Have fun!

Beata Jun 23rd, 2001 01:46 PM

Thank you all for your help and some wonderful suggestions. We opted for Terdam and will stay four nights. We are from Maine so will be used to cold by then. And Jody please post your trip report after your trip to Amsterdam. Thanks again

Jody Jun 24th, 2001 05:30 PM

Hi Beata,<BR><BR>Will do. We're getting excited and will certainly fill you in when we return. I've got to get off line now so I can call in my order for Dutch guilder. <BR>I phone my order in and it's delivered to my door in a couple of days! It's called "Currency to Go" (888)Chase84; just mention source code 6000. If you order $500 or more in foreign currency on your charge card, there's no service charge - - - you will have to pay about $10 in shipping, though. Very convenient!

LadyJane Jun 28th, 2001 05:27 PM

I have been there about six times, never in March. I don't get bored. It is a wonderful place to wander around. If you care about art,don't miss the Hague and the Mauritshuis, where (to me) the two loveliest paintings in the Western world hang in one room, Vermeer's View of Delft and Girl With a Pearl Earring. <BR><BR>Hotels: my favorite, of very many, is the Ambassade. It is on a main canal,in a quiet location, made up of many canal houses, not expensive, and lovely. People also love the Canal House, also made up of canal houses, and I think owned by Americans--individuals, not a big company.

Leigh Jun 28th, 2001 05:37 PM

We spent a full week in Amsterdam and loved every minute. Traveled in September, so I cannot comment on the weather. We stayed at the Hotel Toren. It is located in a wonderful area, close to the Anne Frank House. I think their standard rooms are close to $125.00.<BR>Amsterdam is a perfect walking city. Most of my research was done on the internet for sites to visit. Have fun; I am envious!

tttttt Feb 20th, 2002 05:01 AM

<BR>top!