Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is everything going to be open in Prague/Vienna in March?
Notices

Is everything going to be open in Prague/Vienna in March?

May 13th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Is everything going to be open in Prague/Vienna in March?

I'm thinking about going to both cities in early March, I know this is the Prague forum but I included Vienna in case you guys know about that too.

It seems like both cities will be rainy and cold but I'm also worried that some things might not be opened during this time. Will the main attractions be open to tours, etc?

Thanks!
May 16th, 2015, 06:46 AM

I'm not following as to why you think main attractions would be closed in March? In major cities, they are always open all year, I've never seen major attractions closed off season (which March wouldn't be) except in some rural areas or places people only go in summer. For example, even in January-February, they wouldn't be closed.

Is there some reason you think things will be closed that I'm not thinking of? The only thing I could think of was Easter, and that's at the end of March (some things may be closed Easter Monday). And some of those river cruise things may not run in the dead of winter, I suppose, although in Prague they run all year round.

Prague even has Easter markets (handicrafts, food and drink, etc) in early March, at least 2nd week onward (Wenceslas square and Old Town). Not my thing exactly, but something to see (trying to extend the Christmas market idea).

Now there are some slightly reduced hours in Prague before April (say the castle or the Jewish Museum), but things are open. Places just may close about 1-2 hours earlier in "winter". The castle gardens don't open until April, nor the PUblic Transport Museum (which most tourists don't go to, anyway) only things I can think of in Prague for March. The national museum is closed but that's for renovations (not the Art Gallery).

I don't know as much about Vienna, but I can't imagine why any major tourist attraction would ever be closed right in the city. I think some things are closed in the surrounding country area until Easter, but not in the capital.
May 16th, 2015, 09:44 AM

Yes, all major sights will be open - and unlike summer the music/theater/ballet/opera seasons will be in full swing.

Weather is likely to chilly but not cold (rain, not snow) - sort of like DC at that time of year - but nothing to interfere with sightseeing.

Agree that the only closing might be for Easter Sunday or Monday - but that seems to be later than you will be there.

Search this Thread