Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is Eastern Europe safe for exchange program?
Notices

Is Eastern Europe safe for exchange program?

Sep 7th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Is Eastern Europe safe for exchange program?

Interested in going to Romania but I've heard so many different opinions about the safety there. I feel as if/looks like it is an amazing place, however is it safe for exchange? I would like a response with a firm answer saying why or why not because I keep seeing mixed opinions on other forums
Sep 7th, 2013, 03:24 PM

Look the country does not do well on the corruption index while their treatment of the Roma is unacceptable. However the country functions ok and has received chunks of EU money and white slavery etc is probably limited to nationals and the urbanised rural poor as in much of Eastern Europe.

Generally as a visitor you would be safe, though with the usual concern as in many urbanised area of theft/mugging.

I've travelled there and it is very beautiful, the rural poverty has ensured that much of the country grows only Organic food (not enough money for industrial farming), with horses still in abundance. The racial balance is both interesting and seen not only in the faces of the people but in the designs of the villages.

I would ask, where are you going in the country and what support would you have their.
Sep 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM

It also depends on your age and coomon sense I would hope that a 16 year old daughter of mine would do fine but who are you?

Search this Thread