Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is driving in Dordogne region for the faint-hearted?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to the Dordogne region to explore the beautiful villages and enjoy the spectacular vista. But I am concerned about driving along the narrow curvy roads to reach the villages on cliff top. I am scared of height especially when sitting in the car overlooking the cliffs as we drive. So.. Can some one advise me about the road condition there and let me know whether the driving is very challenging or seems dangerous? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 05:50 PM

We drove all over the Dordogne for the week we were there. No problems whatsoever and I am afraid of heights. Can't think of any challenging areas at all. A car is definitely the way to go in this area.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michele, for your response. I am relieved to know that my worry is groundless. I can now move on with the planning. Thanks very much.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM

I'm afraid of heights as well. The two places that might be of concern are the drive up to Domme from the valley floor and if you visit Rocamadour. You can drive down to the valley above which Rocamadour is perched, and park there, or you can stay above the village, park there, and visit from the top. There's an elevator from the top down to the bottom of the village, or you can walk. The walk didn't bother me; as I recall, there are trees all along the walk. But I don't think I liked the drive into the valley. If you stay up top, visit the town of Hospitalet; from there, you have a lovely view of Rocamadour down the valley. But I don't remember feeling that I was peering over the edge of a cliff in Hospitalet, and the road in that area is not near the edge at all.

I don't remember the specifics of driving up to Domme, only that it made me uncomfortable (but I did drive it a number of times, as we stayed at a hotel there). I do remember that parts, at least, are through the woods.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Lexma90- Thanks you so much for the information. I will definitely remember to check out those areas before I venture out driving. Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 05:14 AM

I felt comfortable driving (though we took it slow approaching Rocamadour as Lexma90 mentions) but I did get car sick .... so perhaps take along some ginger chews!
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 05:15 AM

I don't think you have an accurate picture of the territory of the Dordogne. To be sure there are a few hill towns with steep ascents/descents, but they are not the norm...at all. There is no comparison, say, with many of the Italian hill towns where there aren't woods or guardrails to hem you in. It's my favorite place to drive in the world.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Check out terrain on your route with Google Earth/Maps....that has helped us before
on trips thru "hilly routes".........in the Dordogne...travel along the river roads if a problem,
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM

we spend 4 weeks in the Dordogne-Lot-Languedoc areas over 2 trips and found the driving very easy - rather slow out in the country but marvelous well maintained roads and the autoroute is 1st rate without any speed jockeys!! We have had 12-13 trips all over Europe and I really feel at ease driving over there once I get used the straight stick again - only once when we got off on the wrong exit and ended up downtown Paris was I sweating it!!
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my question. The information you shared is helpful and greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 08:20 PM

I too have driven around the Dordogne without problems. You will love it. It is the best way to see the area.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you are going to be on a lot of small roads, I definitely recommend getting a small car.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM

Seconding Kerouac, not just for the rosads but for the parking, which can be quite tight near markets. For a group, two small cars are better than one larger one, adding flexibility as well as ease of driving.

Otherwise, the driving is pretty easy except for having to watch out for slow moving traffic on some of the smallest roads.