Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   is Continental Airlines a good choice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-continental-airlines-a-good-choice-457642/)

sallyky Dec 4th, 2008 07:31 AM

is Continental Airlines a good choice

We'll be flying from Orlando to London. The cheapest fare is from Continental, but I know nothing about them. Are they good? safe? comfortable? Thanks.

SUMMAGOLD Dec 4th, 2008 07:38 AM

hell yea! they are our airline of choice. they offer meals at no cost, you get to check two baggages for free if you fly international, and you get to check-in online 24 hrs before. thats awesome in my book!

Lauratg Dec 4th, 2008 07:51 AM

Hi Sally,

We're flying from Orlando to London too! When are you going? We're leaving March 27th and returning April 6.

If you are searching through expedia, put in your trip as an open jawed flight (multi-city and use LON for the destination)and more choices will come up for Continental. They partner with Virgin and for some reason, the Virgin flights only come up for me when I put in my request as multi-city/LON. It does mean that we have to fly into Gatwick and out of Heathrow, but the times were more convenient.

Lg

DalaiLlama Dec 4th, 2008 07:52 AM

Continental is definitely one of the serious big players, they can be very good. Once in a while you get a sourpuss FA, but that can happen on any airline. Overall, excellent, go for it.

Sign up for their FF program, and get the affiliated CC, charge everything including groceries all year long and soon you will fly for free (but do not run up a balance, pay in full at every statement or it becomes an expensive joke!).

returntoyourseat Dec 4th, 2008 09:17 AM

You are in the best of hands. I have been flying with them for over thirty years, actually hung in there with them when they had some issues....I fly my children and grandchildren with Continental. Excellent rewards program. Have a great time, London is a fun city.

sallyky Dec 4th, 2008 09:43 AM

Thanks everybody -- I just got tickets with Continental.We were in London recently for the first time, but there was so much we missed I thought I'd see if we could get a winter/spring bargain. Wow. The tickets are $500 less than when we went in Oct. We're so excited about going back.

Lauratg -- Wish we Fodorites were flying together. That would be fun. We're going March 2 and returning March 17.

jewela Dec 4th, 2008 11:01 AM

sallyky....Continental is one of the best.....you'll be well cared for...

TPAYT Dec 4th, 2008 11:19 AM

Another perk on Continental---we flew Newark to Paris in Sept. and had 238 movies to choose from. Plus many videos, TV shows and music. That is the most we were offered on any flight.

Lauratg Dec 5th, 2008 01:41 AM

"Lauratg -- Wish we Fodorites were flying together. That would be fun. We're going March 2 and returning March 17."

That would be fun. I'm getting so much helpful info from your trip report from your fall trip. Be sure to post as soon as you get back!

I wish I had waited to book my tickets -- they are selling for $80 less now.

sallyky Dec 7th, 2008 07:10 AM

Lauratg -- "I wish I had waited to book my tickets -- they are selling for $80 less now."

You just never know, huh? I get caught between thinking they might go lower and worrying that if I don't buy NOW, I'll miss out.