Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is connecting through London (Heathrow) really so bad?

Sep 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

I've been planning an itinerary for Europe that may or may not include a change of planes in London (probably Heathrow). As I understand it, traveling OUT of London airports, you can bring only a small personal item (laptop bag) as described on the British Airways website.

Has this been a major hassle for people? I'm a photographer and bringing major gear to Europe with me. In the past I've carried both the laptop and the camera bag as carry-ons. Can't do that anymore - will have to check it (at least the lenses - can probably stuff the camera in my laptop bag) in my luggage, and that makes me nervous.

How is Heathrow to connect through these days? I haven't been there since 2000 but remember it being a huge maze. Went through Gatwick in 2005 and found it much better but that's not in the cards this time...
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM

You can take a regular-sized carryon through UK airports. But just one piece. Not another "personal item".

To me, it's absolutely crazy to put a lens in checked luggage. Unless you really hate that lens and just wouldn't throw it in the trash yourself.

Nothing valuable or non-replaceable ever goes into checked bags.
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:09 AM

you should be able to get the lenses/laptop and some personal items through LHR. One is only allowed 1 item through security, but it can be a full-sized carry-on. So if you have a carry on sized duffle or rollaboard that can hold the lenses/laptop/ etc that would work. After clearing security, you can take take the stuff out and carry more than one item on to the plane.
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:21 AM

<<< As I understand it, traveling OUT of London airports, you can bring only a small personal item (laptop bag) as described on the British Airways website. >>>

That small personal item is a 22 inch bag (56x45x25cm)- and the rule applies to all UK airports EXCEPT Stansted where, for all but EOS & Maxjet passengers, the "personal item" is two thirds that size (55x40x20cm)
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Regarding your photographic equipment, as long as it fits into the 22" bag (along with everything else) you shouldn't have a problem. I agree it would be unwise to put your lenses in checked luggage.

You aren't the only photographer to travel on an airplane, so why not ask the experts? Go to www.dpreview.com and register on their discussion forum. You should get lots of knowledgeable advice.