Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is CinqueTerre Worth the visit? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-cinqueterre-worth-the-visit-341068/)

mamaduck Jul 25th, 2003 11:06 AM

Is CinqueTerre Worth the visit?

My husband and I are driving from Rome to Milan with one night stop. Im trying to decide between Siena ( which I've been to) or Cinque Terre (which I haven't seen) We will have 1 full day only to see either place. Where do we stay-we leave Aug 7th. thanks
mamaduck

bobthenavigator Jul 25th, 2003 11:09 AM

Why would you drive it with only one day to see anything?

Parker Jul 25th, 2003 11:10 AM

It's definately worth it. One day will be plenty to soak it in and get the bug to go back and spend more time.

maitaitom Jul 25th, 2003 11:56 AM

we spent a ful day in Cinque Terre in 2001. We liked it enough that we are going back for a couple of days on this trip. One full day should give you a good feel of the area.
((H))

MarieF Jul 26th, 2003 09:25 AM

I just posted a message about this! My husband and I recently returned from Italy, and only had one full day to explore the CT (we were also in the Lakes Region and Venice). I am so glad that we included the CT. We stayed two nights in Portovenere, and tooked the boat from there to the CT. It was possible (for us) to see all five towns, walking from Riomaggiore through to Vernazza, and then taking the boat to the Monterosso. Even though we only had one day, it was memorable, and gave us an idea of which towns we want to see again.

eurotraveller Jul 26th, 2003 11:22 AM

Definitely visit CT! It is one of my favorite places in Europe! Too bad you only have one day. I spent 3 and that wasn't enough but I did a lot of hiking.

WanderingTexan Jul 27th, 2003 06:03 AM

Go to the Cinque Terre.

AuntFanny Jul 27th, 2003 06:35 AM

There is another current thread about CT being "Heaven on Earth" and I strongly suggest you read it (perhaps with a grain of salt or two). On that particular thread I suspect the person who likes CT the MOST is the "adoring hubby" who has been able to pack his wife off there for a few relaxing days!

e_roz Jul 27th, 2003 05:14 PM

We were just in 5 Terre and it was really overrun with Tourists and backpackers. I'd recommend in maybe in October but am not sure about August. If you do go, stay in Vernazza, nice and more restaurant choices than the other southern villages! Have you been in San Gimignano? We loved it there, arrived after 4pm when the day trippers are leaving! Just another option.

Ronda Jul 31st, 2003 07:18 AM

Aunt Fanny, I searched and don't see a thread with that title. Could you give me a little more info so I can find it. Thanks.

elberko Jul 31st, 2003 07:22 AM

Here's the "heaven on earth" thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34434714

MarkY Jul 31st, 2003 09:30 AM

If it's a choice between one day in Siena (which you've already been) or a day in Cinque, I'd choose CT. One day in CT is better than zero days in CT.

I'd limit myself to one or two villages and take the train between villages. If you drive between villages, you'll spend all your time looking for parking.

Check out Monterosso and Vernazza.

Aine Jul 31st, 2003 03:37 PM

Aunt Fanny - I almost had a heart attack! funnily enough I was in the Cinque Terre for a couple of nights last month with my hubby (yes, Ive used that word) and although Im not sure about the "adoring" at this stage, I've managed to wheedle a couple of nights away in October with my sister. I am dragging her off to the Cinque Terre, though now I am most suspicious that hubby's "no problem" has a touch of being "packed off." Anyway, I thought Vernazza was one of the most gorgeous places I was ever lucky enough to visit, there is a strange lovely relaxed atmosphere there that I personally just melted into. Usually I am the one saying "OK lets go" but I found you could just stay there. I would hope mamaduck that if you get the chance that you go there. I was so entranced that I did not even notice the crowds (if there were any.) Please go.

roma0019 Aug 13th, 2003 06:27 PM

ttt

tryphe Aug 13th, 2003 07:53 PM

I would suggest staying in Lavanto the village just before the five you can buy a day or two day train ticket for I think it was $5 euro and could be used unlimited to go between the villages. You can train to the Montorosso and then hike the villages if you like or train between some of the harder trails and do the easier hike the hike from the second village tot he third is one of the hardests but is beautiful and worth doing. I was there in May for the second time and it is so worth going to even if you only have one day.

lavanto isn't as crowded as the Cinque terra villages and is bit less expensive but very nice. We stayed at the beautiful clean and almost brand new hostel there for $22 Euro a night including breakfast and our room had an ensuite. There is also a tourist information office there near the beautiful beach to get maps for the hike.

The first time I stayed in Riomagoria and the little village was great you have to park your car up top and walk in (so don't bring a lot of luggage) but we rented a small apartment for two nights from just one of the agents thye have offices on the main street it was also inexpensive but it was off season and three years ago before it was the hot spot it is now.