Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Cinque Terra path no-no if one's scared of heights and other is pregnant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:47 AM
EP

I am taking my husband to Cinque Terra, and hoped to do the Cinque Terra hike? Will it be too much? I'm in my 5th month, and my husband can't handle steep cliffs with narrow paths, but can do wide paths. <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Georgine

The path between Riomaggiore and Manarola is level, and provides a lovely walk along the coastline of about 20 to 30 minutes. <BR> <BR>The paths between the other villages are too steep, and in some areas very narrow. <BR> <BR>Walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola and take the train between all the other villages. (Of course, you'll probably have to skip Corniglia, because the train is at the base of the mountain and Corniglia sits on th top of the cliff.) <BR> <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Anne

Georgine -- Is the train better than the boat for going between towns?

Old May 20th, 2001, 07:35 AM
mary

Is there a boat from Camogli or Portofino to the Cinque Terre towns? <BR>Thanks <BR>Mary

Old May 20th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Judy

Last February while walking from Vernazza to Cornigilia,I met another hiker, she was so scared that even with her companion holding her hand to help her through narrow steep path, she was in tears.

Old May 20th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Georgine

Dear Anne, <BR> <BR>We were in the Cinque Terre in the month of March (technically, low season---although you would not have known it by the crowds). Boats were not running at that time of year. <BR> <BR>In season,I think I might do a combination of boat and train, just to get some variety. <BR> <BR>I would imagine that the approach to Vernazza by sea would be very impressive, as would that to Riomaggiore.

Old May 20th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Debbie

Definitely a no-no. I still regret that I just couldn't do the hike, but I couldn't deal with the dizziness and unending panic that set in right after we started. I would do anything to overcome my fear of heights, but it would have been dangerous to continue with my lack of balance and disorientation.

Old May 21st, 2001, 02:19 PM
frank

I just did the CT hike 2 weeks ago. It was the highlight of our trip. Neither my wife or I thought it was that scary - not as bad as some we have done at Yosemite, Hawaii, or Zion N.P. But, I guess it all depends on the extent of one's acrophobia. If you are in reasonably good shape, the pregnancy shouldn't be an issue. It's an 11 km (6.9 miles) from Monterosso to Riomaggiore, but lots of up and down. Georgine's suggestion to do the Riomaggiore to Manarola walk is good, except that two weeks ago that part of the hike was closed for repairs. Hopefully it will be open when you are there as it is supposed to be the easiest. We hiked from Monterosso to Manarolo and then took the boat back. The boat was cool, scenic, and relaxing, a perfect way to end the long day. It cost 12000 ITL as opposed to ?3000 ITL for the train, but the train is dark and hot and you'll probably be riding plenty of trains in Italy anyway. The train does run more often, but you can get a ferry schedule from your hotel and just hang out at the last town and have a gelato or beer until it comes. The ferry seems to be on time more often than the train.

Old May 21st, 2001, 04:19 PM
Lesli

You should both be able to manage at least the 20 minute walk from Manarola to Riomaggiore. It's called the "via del amore." It's a flat, paved trail cut into the cliff, with a pretty broad edge on it - does not qualify as a "hike," really, but you still get to enjoy the beautiful views. See: http://home.sunrise.ch/avong/cinque_terre/hiking.htm for some photos and descriptions of the trails and decide for yourselves! <BR> <BR>

Old May 21st, 2001, 06:24 PM
Joyce

Can't imagine doing the hike - the drive through the mountains to get to Monterossa was so frightening that we're still shaking! Someone at our place in Tuscany suggested we do that rather than drive to La Spezia and take the train, as parking was so scarce there. Would gladly have braved the parking process rather than the torturous drive through the mountains!!!!!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:46 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Wow. If I hadn't of been there, I wouldn't know what to think. There seem to be a wide difference of opinion here. <BR> <BR>I'm no fan of heights, but I had absolutely no trouble with the Monterosso - Vernazza - Corniglia trails. I never even remember being in a position of being on a "real" ledge whose drop was more than 20 feet. Most of the hike was away from any clifts. It was a rigorous hike, and I've never been 5 months pregnant so I can't advise there. <BR> <BR>And I also didn't find the drive into Monterosso too bad either (though there were very few cars on that road when we were there). <BR> <BR>I guess people just have different tolerences. Bottom line, you won't know if you can handle it until you get there. <BR> <BR>Oh, and we were there in March and had no crowds. Perhaps it was because it was early March.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:25 AM
dick patterson

I have done the hike from Monterosso to Vernazza twice, including last month. I don't remember any parts where I was close to the edge of a cliff, but much of it is narrow and you'll meet many hikers coming from the opposite direction -- somebody has to wait and let the other person pass because the path is not wide enough for two way traffic. Still, you don't really feel that you're in any danger of falling. The hillside slopes on either side of the path (upwards on one side and downwards on the other) rather than having vertical drops. <BR> <BR>While I'm sure the Via dell'Amore from Riomaggiore to Manarola is the easiest of the walks and doable by almost anybody, it was closed when I was there on April 13. <BR> <BR>The boat is very nice. I also enjoyed the train rides, though they're more crowded -- you might have to stand.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:52 AM
rlk

I came back from Italy last week (May 14th) --- And on May 11th, the "Via Del Amore" (walk between Riomaggiore & Manarola) was still closed. It's the easiest path & I think it's paved. But don't have any info as to its' status & when or if it'll be re-opened. <BR> <BR>As for the rest of the pathways between the Cinque Terre towns, they're all (or were) open. I walked the 2 kilometer trail between Manarola & Corniglia --- and walked it in one direction on one day & the other way on another --- fyi, it's slightly more downhill when you go from Corniglia to Manarola. After the 'Via Del Amore' this is the next easiest path. It's not paved--however I was easily able to 'walk the walk' in my tennis shoes, in 45 minutes (I'm NOT a hiker). <BR> <BR>Actually the most challenging part is the stairs (ALOT of stairs) up to the town of Corniglia. Or if you don't want to actually go to the town (it's very small), then can easily jump on the train to get to one of the other villages (train tracks are only 1 flight down).

Old May 22nd, 2001, 10:36 AM
rlk

EP: <BR> <BR>As for the other towns (Corniglia to Vernazza & Vernazza to Monterosso), I don't have any personal experience, but those treks sound more "hikey" --- or at least by the descriptions in Rick Steves book. Again, as I've said I'm not a hiker and so was perfectly comfortable with just doing that one trail between Manarola-Corniglia. <BR> <BR>I did notice quite a few German tourists that were fully decked out in hiking regalia (serious looking hiking boots, backpacks, walking sticks) --- they must have gone on the other paths as I only saw them on the train & not on pathway for my trek. <BR> <BR>As for your pregnancy issue, I guess your age & level of fitness would be a factor in how much of a walk you'd feel comfortable doing. Also, do note that there aren't any bathroom facilities in between each village (if you've reached that stage where that's become a critical issue). <BR> <BR>With regards to your hubby, that's a tough call. I felt perfectly comfortable & even on sections in which there was no railing & path did narrow (guestimate about 2 ft. wide before drop-off down to water), I didn't feel scared or uncomfortable. But I'm not afraid of heights. <BR> <BR>Train versus Boat <BR>Done both. Usually I like to mix it up. Boat is more expensive than train, but it's so lovely & scenic and generally less crowded on the boat. <BR>MARY: <BR>The boat runs begin in April & continue thru mid-October. Don't have my schedule with me, but think the first departure of day is about 9:15 am from La Spezia --- goes from La Spezia to PortoVenere (NOT Portofino); then to Riomaggiore & on to each of the CT towns EXCEPT for Corniglia --- there is no boat access to Corniglia as it's extremely rocky & the town itself sits up on the cliffs. <BR> <BR>I don't know if there is another boat that might make a run from Portofino to one of the CT towns --- possible, do know that there's a boat from another seaside town, Leirici, that also goes to CT.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 05:05 AM
EP

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP! <BR>Can't wait to leave (countdown 14 hours) <BR>You're all great. Hope I can return the favour. <BR>

Old May 23rd, 2001, 07:11 PM
love-italia

Oh, envious sigh . . . . Buon Viaggio, EP. <BR> <BR>Do let us know how your visit & experience on the CT goes when you return.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:00 PM
Jim

I am in Portovenere as I write this. I hiked the Cinque Terre two days ago. The portion from Riomaggiore to Manarola is closed. I suggest you visit Riomaggiore, then take a very short train ride to Manarola. Explore Manarola then walk to Corneligia with the exception of stopping at the train station and taking the little 3,000 lire shuttle bus to the top (avoiding the steep stairs). It is a white bus that is evidently run by an enterprising individual. If it is not there you can wait till it arrives or take the train to Vernazza. This is only for the pregnant or elderly perhaps. The stair walk is not too bad if one is in shape or, if out of shape , takes ones time. There are plenty of places to stop, rest and take in the wonderful views. <BR> The route to Monterosso has lots of steep uphill and steps that I would not suggest for the pregnant in latter stages. <BR> I am afraid of heights, and had absolutely no trouble on any of the hike. The path is more of a stroll from Manarola to the train station at Cornegila. Dont miss the beautiful gardens at the house at the Corneglia train depot.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:51 PM
zz-top

- <BR>UP for Sue -- here's a few comments from several months ago with regards to the fear of heights issue you'd asked about.